The wait is over and Corollas are rolling off the assembly line at Union County’s Toyota’s manufacturing plant. What a few skeptics had predicted would never happen has. For the rest of us who believed from Feb. 27, 2007, the day of the first announcement, it was an exciting and hoopla filled day Thursday as […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By any measure, the New Albany Main Street Holiday Open House was an unqualified success this year. The largest crowd ever, estimated at more than 2,000, turned out to see the holiday decorations, enjoy some refreshments and poke around the 26 businesses that participated in the event. Shops were open from 1 p.m. to 6 […]
What has become one of New Albany’s largest events takes place this Sunday afternoon. The New Albany Main Street Holiday Open House is expected to draw more than 2,000 to participating shops and businesses, mostly in the historic downtown area. It’s a way to kick off holiday shopping, spend time with your friends and neighbors […]
A year ago in this space we argued that New Albany should conduct a feasibility study on the cost and benefits of a public swimming pool. We still think so. A year later we seem to be no closer to getting our children a place to learn to swim and our families a wholesome spot […]
New Albany will join 40 other Mississippi cities and towns Dec. 2 when a smoke-free workplace ordinance goes into effect. The Board of Aldermen adopted the ordinance unanimously Monday after a public hearing generated no comments from the public. We were a little surprised that no one spoke out against it; perhaps it shows the […]
Mississippi school children lag near the bottom among the states in education performance and a key reason is that many arrive at kindergarten and first grade unprepared for learning. Most never catch up to the level of other children and the result affects lots of things over time: the earning level of our citizens, the […]
Getting good land use and zoning regulations in place near the new Toyota plant in Blue Springs is an important community issue. Mike Slaughter, urban planning consultant for Oxford-based Slaughter and Associates, recently met with the Blue Springs Board of Aldermen to discuss land use, subdivision regulations and zoning. It’s part of a comprehensive plan […]
Another new nighttime event is scheduled Thursday in downtown New Albany. Well, actually it’s a redo of the former Trick or Treat Downtown event, sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association. Now it’s called Hill Country Halloween and Chili Cook-off. The evening will begin with a short parade downtown at 6 p.m. led by […]
The word “hospital” sometimes conjures up dread of negative things – sickness, accidents, emergencies, and, yes, death. Sometimes we even dread going there because it means we are visiting a sick or dying friend or family member. But a hospital is many things. It also represents the health of a community, prevention of sickness, and […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen moved ahead Monday by voting to present a smoke-free workplace ordinance drafted by the state Department of Health at a public hearing Nov. 1. The ordinance, put forward by Alderman Johnny Anderson, would ban smoking in indoor worksites and in places where the public is invited. It would cover […]
- Downtown crosswalks January 21, 2015
- When numerals are Roman January 28, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...