Today’s my wedding anniversary. I could brag about how I remembered it, but technically that wouldn’t be the case. Actually, it wouldn’t be the case, technically or otherwise. I knew it because of the bouquet of flowers in the middle of the kitchen table. They arrived Saturday, brought by a woman from a local flower […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Gov. Phil Bryant’s state budget proposal for the coming year again is a disappointing one for our public schools. The governor has proposed increasing the kindergarten through grade 12 budget by 1 percent, or $22.4 million, but $16 million of the increase would go to a capital expense fund for building repairs. In contrast, the […]
The decision by the CREATE Foundation to give its McLean Award for Philanthropy to BNA Bank should come as no surprise to anyone who has been around New Albany for a while. The bank has been a part of community life in this city for more than a hundred years. The bank and its employees […]
This is an exciting time here at the Gazette as we publish two glossy publications this week that we think you will want to keep. Inside today’s paper you’ll find the 24-page glossy Winter Sports Preview. Now that football is almost over, we’ve turned our attention to basketball, soccer and the cheerleading squads are New […]
Time is growing short for you to help in this year’s United Way of Northeast Mississippi campaign. The United Way, which serves seven counties, including Union, has reached 80 percent of its $2.4 million goal. So far, $1,913,968 has been pledged in the 2013 campaign. It’s important that Union Countians pledge their share to the […]
By Charlie Mitchell Oxford Church rec halls and Sunday school rooms all over Mississippi are pretty busy places on weeknights. So are community centers and community college classrooms. Hundreds of residents – no exact tally is available – are facing a Dec. 31 deadline to complete their high school equivalency diplomas as part of their […]
A low voter turn-out was expected for the special election to choose a new medical examiner-investigator this week. That’s too bad, particularly since the race had such a large number of candidates. That much interest in participating in our democratic process is not often seen. Granted, the office of coroner is not viewed as desirable […]
We hope you will pause a moment in your day Monday to honor all those who have served in our armed forces. It is Veterans Day. The main observance here will be handled by the American Legion Potter-Henry-Lowrey Post 72 and will be at noon at the Union County Courthouse. Veterans Day and Memorial Day […]
It was about 5:15 Thursday evening and I was driving home in the rain, thinking about how disappointed I would be if I were a child because it was too wet to Trick or Treat. But when I turned the corner into our neighborhood, I saw several children dashing up to houses from their parents’ […]
Downtown is being decked out in holiday wreaths and that means one of the area’s most successful events is coming up this Sunday. The New Albany Main Street Association’s annual Holiday Open House will be held from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday Between 2,000 and 3,000 people are expected to turn out to see […]
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...