Union County voters will face an important decision for the growth of our city in the special election Tuesday, Jan. 10. On the ballot is whether to allow the sale of wine and spirits in the city of New Albany. The issue was placed on the ballot through a petition drive led by local citizens. […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Below the Gazette reprints eight-year-old Virginia O’Hanlon’s letter to the editor of New York’s Sun newspaper and the newspaper’s response on Sept. 21, 1897: Dear Editor: I am 8 years old. Some of my friends say there is not Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me […]
Our community breathed a collective sigh of relief this week with news that a New Albany man has been charged with capital murder in the shooting death of Amanda Price. The killing, and the wounding of her husband, New Albany football coach Ron Price, were described by Police Chief David Grisham as a random act […]
The Union County School District Board has voted to do away with the Union County varsity football team and move the program to the East Union Attendance Center. The 3-2 vote will allow the East Union Urchins to move forward competing with other small schools in Class 2A. A county-wide team would eventually have had […]
Many more families have qualified this year for aid from the 37th annual Sharing at Christmas program, which provides food and toys to those in need in Union County. This year 264 families qualified for aid, compared to 228 families who received aid last year. Obviously, the needs are much greater this year in our […]
The outpouring of concern and support for the Price family is just what we expected from our community. The heinous crime, the slaying of Amanda Price, a speech pathologist in the New Albany schools, and the wounding of her football coach husband, Ron, has touched virtually everyone in our community. Amanda Price affected the lives […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors has made the right decision on a plan to handle housing mental patients awaiting a place in the state hospital. The board has decided to adopt a proposal from the Region IV Mental Health Center in Tupelo to handle all the mental commitment for Union County. The mental health […]
The New Albany Main Street Association’s annual Holiday Open House has become so successful that the association has developed an encore event. From 5 to 9 p.m. next Friday the association will host something called “Sippin’ Cider,” a clever gimmick to get lots of folks downtown and shopping in members’ shops on a Friday night. […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors is grappling with what to do about housing mental patients awaiting a place in the state hospital. Currently they are transported to the Union County Jail, which was not designed and is not adequately staffed to deal with the mentally ill. In short, the current practice is a problem […]
Thanksgiving is here, for many of us a time for family gatherings, turkey, pumpkin pie and all the trimmings. We hope at this time that you will be thankful for what you have and also take a moment to share with others as we enter the holiday season. We are talking about the Gazette’s Sharing […]
- Downtown crosswalks January 21, 2015
- When numerals are Roman January 28, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...