Next Tuesday we will conduct a special election in Union County for the office of county coroner/medical examiner. A low turnout is expected and that is unfortunate because recent events show how important electing a quality individual is to an office that usually operates with little fanfare and in relative obscurity. The reason we are […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Today the Gazette starts its 39th annual Sharing at Christmas push for money to help provide holiday help for families in need in Union County. Although the Sharing at Christmas program has been sponsored by the Gazette all these years, it really is about the community, not the newspaper. It’s about all those who provide […]
There I was Thursday night – sitting on the couch, watching college football and petting my dog (I do that a lot). Then the phone rang. The caller ID showed it was my boss, Dan Sykes, calling from Kentucky. It must be some final budget detail, I thought, as I answered the phone. We had […]
Sunday afternoon was a time to celebrate community as we had the grand opening ceremonies in New Albany, Houston and Pontotoc for the Tanglefoot Trail. The more than 44-mile paved trail starting in New Albany and ending in Houston already is attracting lots of walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers. The trail, once followed […]
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – Tracking. Mining. Harvesting. Drilling. If those words bring to mind Daniel Boone, coal cars wending along railroad tracks, cotton fields in October and dentists, you are over 60. If you think “social media,” you are under 25. Today’s column is about the latter – Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Pinterest, Instagram and […]
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and each year all the newspapers in our group produce a four-week series of stories relating to breast cancer in addition to a special one-time section in the Daily Journal. Another regular feature each year is the luncheon sponsored by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County and the Jones Clinic. Although […]
It’s been an on-going saga in my life this year – what to keep and what to discard. The irony in those decisions has been the value placed on the items. It’s been easier to part with a large piece of furniture or family antique than it has an old letter or kindergarten art work. […]
Whatever happened to Saturday? That’s was my thinking when I crawled out of bed and headed outside with the dogs for their morning pit stop on Sunday. It seemed to disappear, just as the whole week had. Coming off a whirlwind trip the weekend before to Kansas City, the week seemed to fly by. By […]
Visitors from several states will descend on New Albany this Saturday for the 28th annual Mississippi on Wheels Charity Car Show. Car enthusiasts, mechanics, restoration specials and just people looking for something interesting to do will converge on the area around the Union County Courthouse for the event. This year the Lions Club of New […]
For years Trick or Treat Downtown, sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association, was a wholesome child-friendly October event that attracted hundreds of kids and their parents downtown. Scores of kids participated each year in a costume contest that the Gazette helped organize, lots of candy was given out by the association and local […]
- Going to the ‘Ship’ May 18, 2016
- Making History: Urchins win first state title in baseball May 21, 2016
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 24, 2016
- Macedonia news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- New Haven Center says thanks with annual fish fry May 24, 2016
- County supervisors begin to see first of annual budget requests May 24, 2016
- Emerald furniture plant about ready for production May 24, 2016
- Reminder about Memorial Day schedule changes May 24, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...