Twelve years ago Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to put together a program to demonstrate the life of early pioneers. The result was Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children. This year’s event is coming up […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The United Way campaign for 2013 has been going on since August, and up to now the campaign has raised 22 percent of its goal of $2.4 million. A number of major groups, including those involved in health care and manufacturing, have yet to finish their employee campaigns so the total may be misleading. But […]
I watched a radio show Saturday morning. You read that right. Saturday morning my wife Jenny, son Joe, and I drove to Oxford to watch a radio program. Why would I do that, you ask? Why do men do anything? To please their spouse, of course. It all started a number of years ago when […]
Toyota’s announcement that it will begin exporting Corollas made in Union County to 18 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean next year is more good news on the local auto industry front. The company, which currently employs about 2,000 people at its Blue Springs plant, said it expects to export more than 7,500 Corolla […]
The decision by Mark Golding to plead guilty to two counts of fraud involving the coroner’s office and avoid a trial probably was in his best interest. He was sentenced to 10 years in the Mississippi Department of Corrections, but six of those years were suspended. He also received four years of post-release supervision and […]
Dear Editor: This letter is in regard to a meeting I had with the Union County Supervisors in August. It concerned my garbage bin being full and needing emptied. I also talked to them about a stopped up culvert of mine, and a ditch that was overgrown. Mr. Danny Jordan told me they would come […]
Forty-six years ago this week was when the letter came. I was on my honeymoon, staying in a small motel across the street from Disneyland when my mother called from Kansas City. An official-looking letter had arrived addressed to me. Did I want her to open it? Inside was the notice to report for induction […]
Each year, after RiverFest has come and gone, we take a look at how it fared and what, if anything, might make it better. Last year we noted that RiverFest had become very successful at drawing a crowd over the last several years and we thought the festival was generally on the right track. This […]
The significance of packing and moving the last item from our home of thirty-eight years was more than substantial, but that wasn’t my struggle today. It was what to keep and what to throw away as I sorted through the “archives” of our lives. My discipline had earned high marks in sorting through furniture and […]
“It’s Time To Pay College Athletes,” TIME magazine declares on its cover this week. Here’s another statement: “It’s Time To End Intercollegiate Sports.” By Charlie Mitchell Think about it. The two sound different. Fundamentally, though, they’re the same. Look at the Olympics. There are those of us old enough to remember before 1992 when all […]
- Wilkinson, Urchins shut down Cardinals April 29, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Taylor to continue softball career at Delta State May 5, 2016
- Area athletes advance to state finals in track May 5, 2016
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault May 5, 2016
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures May 5, 2016
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas May 5, 2016
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7 May 5, 2016
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6 May 5, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Two face armed robbery charges in home assault
- City continues effort to remove unsafe houses, other structures
- NA police to begin random bicycle patrols downtown, in park areas
- Keep New Albany/Union County Beautiful sponsoring Great American Cleanup May 7
- Imagine the Possibilities CREATE career expo to be open to more counties October 4 – 6