The state of Mississippi has released the results of its annual public school performance testing and both New Albany and Union County showed continuing improvement in their overall scores. New Albany had an impressive jump in its district score to 193 from 180 last year and Union County improved to 175 this year compared to […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas around our house. Oh, we haven’t gotten any decorations out or anything. We usually don’t get around to even thinking about that until about Thanksgiving. No, what looks like Christmas is the stack of mail-order catalogs accumulating in the recycling pile. The first sign of the approaching […]
The Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children, will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was 11 years ago that Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to demonstrate the life of early pioneers with demonstrations and […]
Over the past couple of months we’ve gauged the community support for and watched closely the performance of Jackie Ford as the interim superintendent of the New Albany Schools. We’ve liked what we’ve heard and seen. It seems to us that Ford has gotten off to a good start and that our city schools are […]
Dentists make me sick. Oh, it’s not because of their personalities or chair-side manners. Kelton McClinton is a nice guy and our family goes to him for checkups. No, dentists make me sick because they want to put things in my mouth. It makes me gag. So do lollipops, chewing gum, and thermometers. It started […]
Mischief is being made in Oxford again. Last fall a group calling itself Forward Rebels placed anonymous ads in newspapers around the state critical of the University of Mississippi administration and especially its athletic director. The group spent a lot of money embarrassing the university and creating a distraction that undermined support for the school […]
Once in a while we need to pause and remind ourselves of the quality work done at our New Albany and Union County schools to prepare our students for the life ahead. One measure of that is graduation, or completion, rate for the schools. The 2011 figures have been released by the state and show […]
Monday is the last day to wear seersucker or white for the season. I learned that from reading a story this week about the history and traditions associated with Labor Day. The fashion no-nos won’t change much in my life, though. Thirty years ago or so, I got a seersucker shirt as a gift, but […]
For the second year, the Tallahatchie RiverFest will get under way with a Kickoff Community Luncheon. The kickoff luncheon was begun a year ago to help push the literary aspects of RiverFest to the forefront by putting more emphasis on the William Faulkner Literary Competition, which has been a part of the festival since the […]
New Albany has built a beautiful tennis complex that already is a showplace for tennis tournaments that will attract players not only from the region, but also from neighboring states. The new courts and pavilion in BNA Bank Park North are a first class facility that can only impress our out-of-town guests. Unfortunately, the first […]
- Downtown crosswalks January 21, 2015
- When numerals are Roman January 28, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...