Tis the season – the political season, that is. That means it’s also the time when we get lots of questions about our policies about candidates, political advertising, letters to the editor, and the like. So here’s an attempt to go over our general policies about elections and candidates. We think running for political office […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The announcement last week that Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County plans a major expansion is good news for our community. It signifies Baptist’s ongoing commitment to its hospital here and to improving health care for New Albany and the surrounding area. Baptist announced that it plans a $12 million addition on the back side of the […]
Only lately have I begun to feel old, and then, thankfully, just occasionally. But if you want to have the weight of your years begin to crush you, consider some of the things that are familiar to you, but that the next generation after you is oblivious to. Monday I was at City Hall when […]
One of the items I found when I sorted through some of Mother’s books was a large, dog-eared book of nursery rhymes. I opened its musty smelling pages and breathed childhood! I could picture sitting close to Mother while she read these rhymes and riddles to me. As I turned the worn pages I was […]
There, amid the junk mail in the mailbox, was a bright blue envelope with a return address that caught my eye: Raytown High School Class of 1963. It can’t be, I thought. I did the math. It is. It has been 50 years since I graduated from high school in the suburbs of Kansas City, […]
Mississippi appears headed down the road of diluting the money available for public education by approving legislation that allows competing “charter schools” to be created. The Senate has passed a particularly heinous bill supported by anti-public school interests that would allow an unlimited number of charter schools to be created. Only public school districts with […]
The Mississippi Legislature is considering a proposal that would provide some state money and standards for preschool programs in the state. Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and House Speaker Philip Gunn had a press conference Wednesday to show support for bills that would provide the first state aid to early childhood education. The legislation would provide […]
One of the things Jenny liked about me before she even met me was that I bragged that I was a gardener. She thought she had found a kindred spirit. Now, 13 years later, she says I can’t tell a weed from a flower, or at least I can’t when it’s time to pull weeds […]
In its first year, it was an overwhelming success. This year we expect it will be even better. We, of course, are talking about the Amanda Price Memorial Run. More than 1,300 people, including more than 1,000 runners, turned out last year for the event, which honors Amanda Price, who was shot to death at […]
Every once in a while we receive emails that contains topics or information people feel strongly about. Sometimes they want us to print it in the News Exchange. Most of the time, these emails have been bouncing around the internet, sometimes for years. They sound reasonable and most people take them at face value. Whenever […]
- Toyota Corolla production move from Canada to South America will not affect Blue Springs plant May 27, 2015
- Gazette, government offices will close Monday May 22, 2015
- New Albany school board votes to make high school ‘all iPad’ school May 27, 2015
- Fun at the spray park May 27, 2015
- Movies and Moonbeams May 29, 2015
- Emerald Home Furnishings moving here, bringing 150 jobs May 29, 2015
- Teens face charges in mass mailbox vandalism May 29, 2015
- Folk music festival, bluegrass competition again called success May 29, 2015
- Victim’s name released in fatal weather-related accident May 29, 2015
- Traffic stop nets supply of crystal meth May 29, 2015
- Edwin Montenegro: Yeah welcome to south American toyota. We love you...
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...