A plan to generate money for expansion of the New Haven Center for Special Needs by collecting aluminum cans is a good one for two reasons. First, the school is in need of more space and the sale of aluminum cans could generate significant revenue, and second, the effort encourages recycling, which is the right […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Perhaps you noticed the American flags on display last Saturday at a number of businesses in New Albany in honor of Armed Forces Day. If not, you’ll have another opportunity as we observe Memorial Day next Monday. Why are we calling attention to the flags? Because it’s a project of the Kiwanis Club of New […]
The Union County School District Board has grappled with the contentious issue of how best to proceed with a county football team. Some want the team to become an East Union only team where it would compete with other small schools in Division 2A. Others want to proceed as a county-wide team, where it would […]
The New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults has taken a necessary step to insure it will have space to expand the facility. New Haven Director Collett Cross announced Tuesday that the school on Garfield Street in New Albany has purchased two adjoining properties. The properties, owned by Mildred Churchill and David McCord, face North […]
Next weekend New Albany will take its place in the heritage music spotlight for the third time as we host the Mississippi Bluegrass Championships. It’s all part of the Down From the Hills Heritage Music and Fiddling Festival, which will have its 10th annual event at the Union County Fairgrounds. What started a few years […]
The 16th annual Frog-a-Nanny, which has become a staple of Spring in New Albany, has come and gone. It was last Friday evening at the Sportsplex. Frog-a-Nanny is a modified baseball game for students with severe and multiple disabilities in the New Albany and Union County public schools. Disabilities range from autism to Down syndrome, […]
The New Albany Board of Alderman has reached a reasonable compromise on the issue of banning pit bulls within the city limits. The board had been asked by Jim Taylor, the city’s animal control officer, and by Ward One Alderman Jeff Olson to place a permanent ban on the breed. We were opposed to that […]
The news that the Mississippi Army National Guard intends to close the New Albany May 31 should come as no surprise to the community. In reality, the armory, which is located near the county fairgrounds at 917 Fairgrounds Spur Road, has had little use for the last couple of years after the headquarters detachment unit […]
The Union County Heritage Museum used its 20th anniversary annual lunch meeting Thursday to announce an ambitious and exciting expansion project. What started 20 years ago as a committee that wanted to form an historical society has become a quality small museum backed by an active society. The problem today is that success has brought […]
Bullying has been an issue in both schools and general society for as long as there has been a society. Through the years it has taken many forms, but it has become more of a defined problem in recent years. What at one time was attributed to “Boys will be boys” or “Girls will be […]
- Thumbing to California July 23, 2014
- Improving the ER July 23, 2014
- Jets shut out Bollweevils July 25, 2014
- Union County Fair Pet Show winners July 25, 2014
- Arts Beats and Eats bringing food, art and fellowship back Friday July 30, 2014
- The single life is not for us July 30, 2014
- Arts, Beats & Eats July 30, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Museum seeks new Faulkner-inspired art for September exhibit July 30, 2014
- Nance retires from Department of Corrections July 30, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey