Sunday afternoon was a time to celebrate community as we had the grand opening ceremonies in New Albany, Houston and Pontotoc for the Tanglefoot Trail. The more than 44-mile paved trail starting in New Albany and ending in Houston already is attracting lots of walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers. The trail, once followed […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Charlie Mitchell OXFORD – Tracking. Mining. Harvesting. Drilling. If those words bring to mind Daniel Boone, coal cars wending along railroad tracks, cotton fields in October and dentists, you are over 60. If you think “social media,” you are under 25. Today’s column is about the latter – Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Pinterest, Instagram and […]
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and each year all the newspapers in our group produce a four-week series of stories relating to breast cancer in addition to a special one-time section in the Daily Journal. Another regular feature each year is the luncheon sponsored by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County and the Jones Clinic. Although […]
It’s been an on-going saga in my life this year – what to keep and what to discard. The irony in those decisions has been the value placed on the items. It’s been easier to part with a large piece of furniture or family antique than it has an old letter or kindergarten art work. […]
Whatever happened to Saturday? That’s was my thinking when I crawled out of bed and headed outside with the dogs for their morning pit stop on Sunday. It seemed to disappear, just as the whole week had. Coming off a whirlwind trip the weekend before to Kansas City, the week seemed to fly by. By […]
Visitors from several states will descend on New Albany this Saturday for the 28th annual Mississippi on Wheels Charity Car Show. Car enthusiasts, mechanics, restoration specials and just people looking for something interesting to do will converge on the area around the Union County Courthouse for the event. This year the Lions Club of New […]
For years Trick or Treat Downtown, sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association, was a wholesome child-friendly October event that attracted hundreds of kids and their parents downtown. Scores of kids participated each year in a costume contest that the Gazette helped organize, lots of candy was given out by the association and local […]
Social media seems to be taking over the world. It’s not so much 1984 and Big Brother (even though the NSA is keeping up with all electronic communications) but more that we are all turning into individual limited-function terminals. People are sharing information more and more and, conversely, information is having less and less value. […]
For the past two weeks, I’ve been worried that I would walk into my 50th high-school class reunion and find a bunch of people with walkers and oxygen canisters, like my parents used in their later years. My wife, Jenny, scoffed at the idea that somehow my classmates had gotten old and I had not. […]
Twelve years ago Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to put together a program to demonstrate the life of early pioneers. The result was Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children. This year’s event is coming up […]
- UPDATE: Gazette moving to new location today April 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...