Each year I fret about it for a couple months. Well, dread it for a couple of months might be a better way to put it. In the end, though, it always works out. I’m talking about Sharing at Christmas, the Gazette’s annual holiday fundraising program that helps make the holidays brighter for many families […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The United Way has surpassed its 2012 campaign goal of $2.3 million in fundraising across seven counties, including Union, that are part of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi. Last week the campaign announced it had received campaign pledges totaling $2,411,346, a number that some in the community thought would be difficult to achieve. It […]
Jenny was giving our son Joe some tips about driving in the dark to and from Oxford, where she teaches fourth grade and he commutes to Ole Miss. “Get behind a truck and stay there,” she said. “Just stay in your lane and don’t pass; that way, you’re not likely to hit a deer.” “But […]
New Albany and Union County have completed all the requirements to become an Excel by 5 certified community in Mississippi. It’s time to give ourselves a pat on the back because only nine communities in the state have completed the steps to be part of the program that supports early childhood education. Excel by 5 […]
The city of Corinth has become the first to take advantage of a new state law that allows city voters to determine whether they want the sale of wine and spirits permitted within city limits. Voters in Corinth Tuesday voted overwhelmingly – 70 percent to 30 percent – for the change. Corinth leaders said after […]
It’s time for the publishing event of the Mitchell family year. No, not another one of my not-very-good columns in the Gazette, like the one you’re reading now. I’m talking about the Mitchell family Christmas letter. Sometimes I agonize about it for weeks, trying to put the family’s best foot forward. Some years that’s harder […]
We find comments this week from Mississippi Medicaid Executive Director David Dzielak troubling. He seemed to suggest to a state Senate committee that spending money to help more of the state’s low-income citizens have access to Medicaid might not improve their health. This is an odd position to take for the fellow who is supposed […]
In less than two weeks, volunteers will be fanning out across Union County delivering food and toys through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program to families in need. This year, we expect to be able to help a few more than 200 families out of about 300 who applied for assistance. The reality is the […]
Setting off on a day of Christmas shopping without any gifts in mind usually ends in failure for Jenny and me. We don’t do very well just wandering around, hoping to stumble on something we like. But that’s what we did last Saturday. Jenny was beginning to fret about what to get her parents, who […]
Here we go again. Gov. Phil Bryant last week proposed yet another plan to raid the public school treasury, this time to support private schools. The governor and Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves already are pushing a proposal to create more charter schools, which compete with public schools but do not have to meet all of […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...