Bobby Gault has been elected president of the Mississippi School Boards Association, capping a areer in education that began with his election to the New Albany Schools Board of Trustees in 1976. His taking the helm of the state association brings recognition and honor, not only to Mr. Gault, but also to the New Albany […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
It’s another sign that our youth is gone. No, I haven’t acquired some new malady, or if I have, I don’t know it yet. No, I’m talking about the empty shelves where the Wonder Bread is supposed to be. And the Hostess Cup Cakes and the Twinkies. The demise of Hostess Brands was the result […]
Thanksgiving is here, for many of us a time for family gatherings, turkey, pumpkin pie and all the trimmings. We hope at this time you will be thankful for what you have and also take a moment to share with others as we enter the holiday season. We are talking about the Gazette’s Sharing at […]
Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney has become something of an expert on an unlikely topic – creating a state health insurance exchange as outlined under the federal Affordable Care Act. The fact that a Republican elected official in Mississippi is among the national leaders in developing a plan to implement one of the key parts […]
Every year at Thanksgiving time we drive to the suburbs of Kansas City to spend the holiday with my sister, Donna, and her husband, Homer. It’s sort of a ritual. We do the same things every year. We arrive on Tuesday in time to get a late dinner at Houlihan’s, near where Donna and Homer […]
Another proposal designed to improve the look of New Albany is under consideration by the Board of Aldermen. Scott Dunnam, alderman at large, has asked the board to approve an ordinance to make it illegal to have upholstered furniture or mattresses sitting around on outdoor porches or patios. The ordinance would apply to furniture not […]
We’re proud of the University of Mississippi and the way the Ole Miss administration and the great majority of its students have adopted the progressive views of a modern Mississippi and rejected the narrow, repressive ways of the past. That’s what makes the ugly incident on the campus election night so unfortunate. A group of […]
It’s a big week here at the Gazette. We’re all a little tired, but a bit excited, too. No, it doesn’t have anything to do with the election. After 45 years in the newspaper business, I don’t get too worked up about elections. Sometimes my choice of a candidate wins, sometimes he or she loses. […]
The 2013 Mississippi legislative session will not get under way until January, but already the state’s Republican leadership is beating the drum for raiding the public education treasury to create so-called charter schools. According to an Associated Press report, Gov. Phil Bryant, Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and Republican legislative leaders appeared before hundreds of business […]
Tuesday is election day across the country, but because Mississippi is not a “swing” state, we have missed (or been spared depending on your point of view) most of the national television ads in the presidential race. Mississippi, like most of the South, was penciled into the Republican column long before any nominee was selected. […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...