My wife Jenny was a little pessimistic when she heard what I wanted for Christmas. She suggested I would get it and then resist spending the time required to learn to use it. I had asked her for a new computer. Not just any computer, but one of those Microsoft Surface Pro 3s that claims […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The New Albany Board of Aldermen this week finally disposed of an issue that has been before the board for seven months – whether residents should be allowed to keep chickens in residential neighborhoods. The board sensibly decided that chickens belong on farms, not in close-in developed areas. The only head-scratcher about this is why […]
Gazette reporter Angie Barmer was showing off the present she got for Christmas. It looked like one of those new computer tablets that keep getting smaller and smaller. Turns out I was wrong. It was a phone. And have you noticed they keep getting bigger and bigger? Angie got an iPhone 6 Plus. Apparently the […]
The bitter cold weather this week is a reminder that it’s the season for winter problems around the house. House fires, frozen pipes, freezing pets – all the problems that come with winter temperatures we are experiencing. We encourage you to take extra precautions as we begin the real part of our southern winter. Fire […]
We take pride in providing the news in an objective fashion in our news columns. But here in this space we offer our opinion, and provide space in our Letters to the Editor column for yours. As we enter 2015, we want to let you know where we stand on important community issues. We support: […]
This column is reprinted from the Jan. 6, 2010, issue of the Gazette. Maybe the carmakers are onto something with those new individual climate controls. You know the ones—the driver’s side can be set at 72 degrees and the passenger side at a nippy 68. We have one car with controls like that, my wife’s […]
Just last month, I was telling a friend about how much time and stamp money she would save if she started paying her bills online through the bank. “Once you’ve entered the places you send monthly bills, it’s really simple. Just type in the amount and the date you want the bill to be paid […]
Below the Gazette reprints eight-year-old Virginia O’Hanlon’s letter to the editor of New York’s Sun newspaper and the newspaper’s response on Sept. 21, 1897: Dear Editor: I am 8 years old. Some of my friends say there is not Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me […]
The selection of Marquel Conner as the new director for the New Albany Boys and Girls Club was a logical choice. Directors have come and gone, but Conner has worked at the club for more than 10 years. In addition, he was a product of the club growing up. He participated in the club as […]
We were reminded this past week of the importance of those people in our community who volunteer their time and energy to help make our lives and the lives of others better. The occasion was the annual Tree of Love Ceremony at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. Four women were honored for their decades of volunteer […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...