Sometimes, no matter how worthy the cause, people get tired of giving. Mississippians are known for their charitable nature, but we all have limited finances to one degree or another and it can seem the number of charitable organizations that do good work is overwhelming. So far, that weariness does not appear to have set […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Lisa Bryant, general manager We have a new face at the Gazette. Walther Cecil “Sonny” Harrison IV has joined our staff in our Creative Services area. Sonny is the son of Walt and Ray Ann Harrison. Their family are lifelong residents of Union County. I met Sonny when he was just a few months […]
Much mischief has been caused following Gov. Phil Bryan’s signing of House Bill 1525, more formally known as the “Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act.” We have heard more comments, more heartfelt about this issue than any for several years, at least. The Gazette has been soundly chastised for not immediately running Rheta […]
Forest Thigpen, guest columnist If all the things being said by the opponents of HB 1523 were true, I would be against it as well. But they are not. Some opponents of the “Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act,” including Clarion-Ledger Executive Editor Sam Hall, make the outlandish assertion that this bill would allow […]
By Rheta Grimsley Johnson Jim Crow days are here again, in Mississippi, this time segregating gays and lesbians from fine, God-and-diversity-fearing citizens. But this latest mossback move to keep business at bay and our poor image intact might not stand. Why? Because some employers with big payrolls don’t like it. To paraphrase the Bible, a […]
MISSISSIPPI LEGISLATURE 2016 Regular Session To: Judiciary B By: Representatives Gunn, Arnold, Bounds, Carpenter, Gipson, Shirley, Boyd, Eubanks House Bill 1523 (As Sent to Governor) AN ACT TO CREATE THE “PROTECTING FREEDOM OF CONSCIENCE FROM GOVERNMENT DISCRIMINATION ACT”; TO PROVIDE CERTAIN PROTECTIONS REGARDING A SINCERELY HELD RELIGIOUS BELIEF OR MORAL CONVICTION FOR PERSONS, RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS […]
The New Albany Home and Garden Show this past Saturday benefitted from the cool, sunny weather early but it was likely the two dozen or so individual events that drew visitors. The comprehensive array of speakers covered flowers, vegetables, ways to raise them, how to deal with pests and even new ways to display (or […]
By Lisa Brant I have been blessed in my life with two great role models of what a Christian woman, wife and mother should be and they were very different women. My mother was a strong, progressive, vibrant woman who died at age 69. She taught me how to stand on my own, to think […]
Regular readers of this page know this space is usually occupied by a Rheta Grimsley Johnson column. She has been a favorite writer of ours since her days at the Memphis Commercial Appeal, with her unique Southern, sometimes romantic, perspective. Occasionally she will tackle a tough subject but this week she took a particularly hard […]
New Albany is host to several public events during the year, most of them entertainment-oriented. One of the most successful, however, is different. For the past eight years the Union County Master Gardeners, with the Union County Extension Service, have held a spring home and garden show. While there are entertainment events during the show, […]
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 31, 2016
- Settlemires named to first-ever All-SSAC Faculty Team May 31, 2016
- No reason to be bored here this summer May 31, 2016
- Looks like summer is here May 31, 2016
- County compares favorably to neighbors in several categories May 31, 2016
- Spray park at BNA Bank Park opens for the summer May 31, 2016
- Martintown Road bridge gets first part of new deck May 31, 2016
- Union County jobless rate continue to be among lowest in state May 31, 2016
- Free concert series begins Saturday May 31, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...