Distracted drivers are an important safety issue across the nation and also in our state. Lots of things contribute to drivers’ being distracted, including talking on cell phones or fiddling with the increasingly complex stereo and navigation systems that now are available in many new cars. But one of the most dangerous is emailing or […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
My wife Jenny says that when I claimed that my hobby was gardening 17 years ago when we were dating that I was exaggerating a little. Well, really she says I was exaggerating a lot – that what I meant was I will mow the yard once in a while when I can’t talk our […]
Mississippi is the model for the nation in at least one area – the immunization rate among kindergarten students. Yes, in a state known for being last in so many things, we are first in protecting our children against the spread of preventable illnesses such as chickenpox, hepatitis B and measles. For instance, 99.7 percent […]
January has come and gone, but not before the Mississippi Legislature got down to work, considering legislation that, if passed, will set the state apart from most of the nation when it comes to setting standards for the education of our children. Many in the legislature are seeking to undermine, and even do away with, […]
Jenny was sitting on the couch, reading emails on her laptop computer. “Hey,” she said. “This says I have to go online someplace and set up an account to print out my W-2 for our taxes.” “Surely not,” I said. “Usually it’s a form with several tear-apart pieces that comes in the mail.” Jenny logged […]
We’re not often impressed with consultants. Sometimes, we think, they make good money telling you what you already know or what you want to hear. But we think the decision several months ago by the Union County Development Association, backed by the city of New Albany and a local developer, to contract with Retail Strategies […]
Well, it’s that time of year when I am reminded of how little I remember about what I learned in school. It’s the week when some of us are trying to remember our Roman numerals. Why Roman numerals, you ask? Because we’re inundated with stories and ads in newspapers and magazines and on television that […]
One of New Albany’s most well-known regional events is on tap this Saturday in the New Albany Memorial Gym. It’s the 24th annual Kiwanis Hotbed Classic, a premier prep sports event in Northeast Mississippi. “The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the tournament, which is the granddaddy of them all when it […]
They were stacked on the buffet in the dining room. They were stacked on the dresser and the bedside tables in the bedroom. And they were stacked in the home office. Parts of the house were beginning to look a little like one of those TV shows about hoarders and hoarding. You know – the […]
Monday the state Department of Transportation painted new highly visible crosswalks on Bankhead Street at the intersections of Central Avenue, Railroad Avenue and Main Street. We think they will make downtown a little safer for pedestrians and will be helpful to visitors, especially at the Tanglefoot plaza. As we understand it, local resident Logan Rutledge, […]
- Myrtle’s sixth ‘Music at the Tracks’ coming April 18 March 25, 2015
- Candidates reminded to not illegally place campaign signs April 1, 2015
- Thirteen vying for congressional seat left vacant by Nunnelee death April 1, 2015
- Myrtle man dies in head-on collision near Okolona April 1, 2015
- Stations of the Church marked on Palm Sunday April 1, 2015
- Campaign signage April 1, 2015
- Procrastination and garage doors April 1, 2015
- Legislature includes $175,000 in bond bill for city April 1, 2015
- ‘Down From the Hills’ music festival, bluegrass championship moving to park this year April 1, 2015
- Spring is here April 1, 2015
- Sahil Mehra: 500,000 cars produce is incredible by Toyota. Futu...
- Linda Mumaw Douglas: I bought two old Futorian chairs several years ago...
- Edward Straker: Everyone needs to understand child porn as the law...
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...