By Camille Anding When man walked on the moon, we moon-gazers were amazed. It was an incredible feat accomplished in a relatively short time when considering our nation’s age. Everyone who recognized the “giant step for mankind” knew we were living in an age like no other. It stretched my imagination and my amazement. What […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
State Rep. Jay Hughes, who represents the 12th District and is from Lafayette County, is rapidly gaining a reputation as the legislator least likely to ever get a bill passed. A Democrat, he does not hesitate to clash with the Speaker or Governor himself and is certain to bring the wrath of the entrenched political […]
Dear editor: I have been sending letters for over five years about the highways, roads and streets in Union County and New Albany. I know you have been concerned even longer. Very little has been accomplished and even the new county supervisors are in the same mode, ignoring the needs. Some desultory patching or roads […]
Congratulations are still a bit premature for the opening of the Union County Heritage Museum’s new addition – but not for the historical society’s twenty-fifth anniversary. It wasn’t that long ago that we had no museum at all. Then came the bare-bones version in the one-room former Catholic church. Not much was there to begin […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager Sunday was Mother’s Day and I must say I had one of my all-time favorite Mother’s Days with my family and at church. My son scored big time with me and his wife this Mother’s Day. I don’t think he could have given either of us a better Mother’s Day. […]
By Camille Anding It was June of last year when Othel and I were returning from a vacation out west. Our route carried us from one side of Dallas, Texas, to the other side. It would have been poor planning, but we didn’t plan it – the time we crossed Dallas. It was traffic like […]
Police Chief Chris Robertson announced plans this week to begin bicycle patrol by pairs of officers on an occasional basis. While this might sound like something appropriate for a much larger city, New Albany has some special needs that make the more personal and up-close patrolling a good idea. Initially, the bike patrol was discussed […]
Both Toyota Wellspring Education Fund and CREATE Foundation officials have been focusing on high school graduation rates and improved technical training as keys to the future success of our young people. This past week the Mississippi Department of Education released figures concerning state drop-out and graduation rates that show Union County’s schools are headed in […]
By Lisa Bryant With Mother’s Day approaching Sunday, my thoughts went to my mother and how much I miss her. It has been 12 years since I have had a Mother’s Day with my Mom. I lost my mother almost 13 years ago, but I don’t want this to be a sad column. That is […]
We continue to support a proposal to expand and upgrade our county library and a recent Pew Research study had both good and bad news in relation to that. Nationally, attendance has dropped a percent or two over each of the past four years. That’s not so good. The reason, however, appears to be that […]
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 31, 2016
- Settlemires named to first-ever All-SSAC Faculty Team May 31, 2016
- No reason to be bored here this summer May 31, 2016
- Looks like summer is here May 31, 2016
- County compares favorably to neighbors in several categories May 31, 2016
- Spray park at BNA Bank Park opens for the summer May 31, 2016
- Martintown Road bridge gets first part of new deck May 31, 2016
- Union County jobless rate continue to be among lowest in state May 31, 2016
- Free concert series begins Saturday May 31, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...