The beginning of summer is historically a slow time for newspapers. People are more focused on vacations, the end of school and simply enjoying the good weather. But a slow news period hardly means there is nothing to do. Even if you are unable to take a real vacation, the community has plenty of activities […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Camille Anding The restaurant was one of those tight-seating kind. I was positioned across from Othel, but the stranger seated to my left was close enough to share my dessert. She smiled as she slid into the booth beside me and that’s when her fragrance drifted to our table. It was amazingly delightful and […]
Union County once again played host to the state bluegrass championship competition and Down from the Hills heritage music festival this past Saturday. Musicians from five states competed for bragging rights and $8,000 in prize money. There were single and group categories for various instruments as well as beginner and master levels. The weather cooperated […]
Downtown New Albany is just about out of commercial space and, perhaps even more serious, out of parking space. Not everyone thinks that “downtown” ends at Camp Street and the Tallahatchie River, so businesses have plenty of room to establish themselves beyond those and still qualify as being in the general downtown area. But thanks […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager Memorial Day is not just a holiday where we get a day off work to have a cookout with our friends and family. It is a day to gather our friends and family together to honor those who made it possible for us to have a cookout in a safe […]
This week, nearly 300 local students will leave high school behind. A generation ago, the accepted next step for many was to move on to a four-year college if at all possible. Some might go the route of a community college first, but it seemed to be accepted that the gold standard for students was […]
By Camille Anding “It’s GONE!” I heard Othel from the garage after I had just walked into the kitchen. I hurried back to the garage and questioned, “What’s gone?” “My bike! It’s not here.” For some thirty-nine years, Othel and I pulled in and out of our carport on the Etta hill. The well-planned carport […]
We don’t think New Albany Mayor Tim Kent did anything to get on the wrong side of State Treasurer Lynn Fitch but one could not tell that from her published comments last week. Part of a proposed approximately $250 million bond bill appropriated $100,000 to New Albany – one of a laundry list of special […]
By Lisa Bryant Everyone you talk to is making plans to attend or has attended a graduation from pre-school to college graduations. This is a time that parents see their children move into the next chapter in their lives. I attended my great niece’s pre-school graduation and watched her proudly sing her songs and receive […]
By Camille Anding When man walked on the moon, we moon-gazers were amazed. It was an incredible feat accomplished in a relatively short time when considering our nation’s age. Everyone who recognized the “giant step for mankind” knew we were living in an age like no other. It stretched my imagination and my amazement. What […]
- Raineses to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary June 23, 2016
- Macedonia news June 28, 2016
- Excel By 5 materials now available at Jennie Stephens Smith Library June 28, 2016
- Happy Fourth of July June 28, 2016
- People may forget price of freedom June 28, 2016
- Bulldogs finish second at Saltillo 7v7 soccer tournament June 29, 2016
- Special session won’t help county June 28, 2016
- Only one issue of Gazette this week June 28, 2016
- Offices to close, service schedules change for July 4 holiday June 28, 2016
- Section of Bankhead Street closed this week June 28, 2016
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...