The bitter cold weather this week is a reminder that it’s the season for winter problems around the house. House fires, frozen pipes, freezing pets – all the problems that come with winter temperatures we are experiencing. We encourage you to take extra precautions as we begin the real part of our southern winter. Fire […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
We take pride in providing the news in an objective fashion in our news columns. But here in this space we offer our opinion, and provide space in our Letters to the Editor column for yours. As we enter 2015, we want to let you know where we stand on important community issues. We support: […]
This column is reprinted from the Jan. 6, 2010, issue of the Gazette. Maybe the carmakers are onto something with those new individual climate controls. You know the ones—the driver’s side can be set at 72 degrees and the passenger side at a nippy 68. We have one car with controls like that, my wife’s […]
Just last month, I was telling a friend about how much time and stamp money she would save if she started paying her bills online through the bank. “Once you’ve entered the places you send monthly bills, it’s really simple. Just type in the amount and the date you want the bill to be paid […]
Below the Gazette reprints eight-year-old Virginia O’Hanlon’s letter to the editor of New York’s Sun newspaper and the newspaper’s response on Sept. 21, 1897: Dear Editor: I am 8 years old. Some of my friends say there is not Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me […]
The selection of Marquel Conner as the new director for the New Albany Boys and Girls Club was a logical choice. Directors have come and gone, but Conner has worked at the club for more than 10 years. In addition, he was a product of the club growing up. He participated in the club as […]
We were reminded this past week of the importance of those people in our community who volunteer their time and energy to help make our lives and the lives of others better. The occasion was the annual Tree of Love Ceremony at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. Four women were honored for their decades of volunteer […]
Sometimes a fella just can’t catch a break. This time the fella is me. Last week I wrote about how I had ordered some Christmas cards from the National Gallery in London, featuring paintings of snow scenes in England and France. My wife, Jenny, didn’t think much of the idea because it snows very little […]
Christmas is fast approaching and time is short for providing holiday help for families in need in Union County through the Gazette’s Sharing at Christmas program. We are a bit concerned about the pace of contributions to support the program that has been sponsored by the Gazette for 40 years. We have set a fundraising […]
If you don’t already have plans for Thursday evening, we have a suggestion for you. Why not come downtown for a stroll, look in a few shops and perhaps have dinner? We make this suggestion for a couple of reasons. First, many of us could use a little exercise, and a walk on a crisp […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...