Today is Administrative Professionals Day, part of a week dedicated to the people in many organizations who provide the support that helps keep them running. It wasn’t always called that. The day and the week began as National Secretaries Week in 1952.Both the title of the week and the day were changed in 2000 to […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The board members of the state Institutions of Higher Learning, known as the College Board, are in a mess. A mess that they created and hopefully the citizens of Mississippi eventually will fix. The board members embarrassed themselves and the state by refusing to renew the contract of University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones in […]
The New Albany Main Street Association has again come up with a new event to encourage more people to stroll and shop downtown. This Saturday, April 18, the association will sponsor something called Live @ Noon, a musical performance on the Trailhead Plaza across from City Hall. Singer-songwriter Tatum Shappley, a native of Ripley, who […]
Jenny and I were a little embarrassed, sneaking out before the end of the Rotary Club’s charity auction Friday night, but we had a pretty good excuse. I already had told Billy Wiseman when he invited us to attend that we probably wouldn’t be bidding on much because we already had too much stuff for […]
A circuit court judge in Mississippi has quashed the arrogant effort by the state Legislature to thwart a citizen-generated initiative supporting public education that will be on the November ballot. The initiative, a constitutional amendment that would require the state to meet its obligations to finance public education, had so irritated the legislature that it […]
I was holding a can of shaving gel one morning last week and preparing to shave when I happened to notice that the small print on the can read “Made in Thailand.” Now why would my shaving gel be made in Thailand? I wondered. Not that I have anything against Thailand. I actually enjoyed a […]
Our annual event here in New Albany that kicks off spring is happening this Friday and Saturday at the Union County Fairgrounds. It’s the New Albany Home and Garden Show, which is sponsored by the Union County Master Gardeners group with help from the Mississippi State Extension Service. What started on a relatively small scale […]
The news that New Albany will be receiving $175,000 in state bond money for use on bicycle trails, continued improvements at BNA Bank Park and related facilities or an outdoor stage provides the Board of Aldermen with interesting options. The city has several needed improvements, but we think a couple should take priority in the […]
The primary election is still more than four months away, but we would think it is a whole lot closer looking around New Albany and Union County. We already are awash in campaign signs, especially near intersections on private property and in some cases on public property. The primary election is scheduled for Aug. 4. […]
Sometimes procrastination pays off. At least that was my spin on the events last week when our garage door stopped working. It had been screeching much of the winter when I punched the remote-control button to raise or lower it. But I had chalked it up to the weather causing the tracks to contract a […]
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...