The effort to expand the Union County Heritage Museum suffered a little setback when bids were opened this week on the project. The low bid, submitted by Jaycon Development Corp. of Memphis was $1,365,000, which is 35 percent over the budget of $1,011,000 for the expansion, which would more than double the size of the […]
Archive | Editorials RSS feed for this section
The Toyota manufacturing plant in Union County reached another milestone this month – the production of the 500,000th Corolla to roll off the assembly line since the plant opened in 2011. The plant produced about 189,000 Corollas in 2014, which is a new high in annual production at the facility in Blue Springs. And the […]
The Mississippi Senate has wisely backed away from insisting that the state Board of Education adopt educational standards to be developed by a 27-member board created by the Legislature. On a 17-13 vote the Senate defeated a Tea-Party supported proposal that would have prevented the state board from continuing with the Common Core academic standards, […]
The issue of allowing home-schooled students to participate in all the sports and other activities of the local public school has again come up in the Mississippi Legislature. Fortunately, the state Senate, on a vote of 31 to 17, last week rejected the proposal sponsored by Sen. Joey Fillingane, a Sumrall Republican, that would have […]
Severe weather season seems to be getting earlier, and it’s time now to plan for the inevitable storms, tornado watches and tornado warnings in our area. We again urge you, if you have not already done so, to sign up for the CodeRED system available to all Union County residents. It’s sort of a reverse […]
Distracted drivers are an important safety issue across the nation and also in our state. Lots of things contribute to drivers’ being distracted, including talking on cell phones or fiddling with the increasingly complex stereo and navigation systems that now are available in many new cars. But one of the most dangerous is emailing or […]
Mississippi is the model for the nation in at least one area – the immunization rate among kindergarten students. Yes, in a state known for being last in so many things, we are first in protecting our children against the spread of preventable illnesses such as chickenpox, hepatitis B and measles. For instance, 99.7 percent […]
January has come and gone, but not before the Mississippi Legislature got down to work, considering legislation that, if passed, will set the state apart from most of the nation when it comes to setting standards for the education of our children. Many in the legislature are seeking to undermine, and even do away with, […]
By Angie Barmer This February marks the 50th anniversary of American Heart Month, according to the American Heart Association. The designation is aimed at increasing awareness that heart disease is the nation’s number one killer, claiming more lives than an all forms of cancer combined. According to the American Heart Association, 80 percent of cardiac […]
The New Albany Hotbed Classic, which has become one of northeast Mississippi’s premiere prep sports events, had another successful outing Saturday at Memorial Gym on the New Albany Middle School campus. “The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the event, and the tournament, which is sponsored by New Albany Kiwanis Club, has […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...