Both Toyota Wellspring Education Fund and CREATE Foundation officials have been focusing on high school graduation rates and improved technical training as keys to the future success of our young people. This past week the Mississippi Department of Education released figures concerning state drop-out and graduation rates that show Union County’s schools are headed in […]
Archive | Editorials RSS feed for this section
We continue to support a proposal to expand and upgrade our county library and a recent Pew Research study had both good and bad news in relation to that. Nationally, attendance has dropped a percent or two over each of the past four years. That’s not so good. The reason, however, appears to be that […]
Sometimes, no matter how worthy the cause, people get tired of giving. Mississippians are known for their charitable nature, but we all have limited finances to one degree or another and it can seem the number of charitable organizations that do good work is overwhelming. So far, that weariness does not appear to have set […]
Much mischief has been caused following Gov. Phil Bryan’s signing of House Bill 1525, more formally known as the “Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act.” We have heard more comments, more heartfelt about this issue than any for several years, at least. The Gazette has been soundly chastised for not immediately running Rheta […]
The New Albany Home and Garden Show this past Saturday benefitted from the cool, sunny weather early but it was likely the two dozen or so individual events that drew visitors. The comprehensive array of speakers covered flowers, vegetables, ways to raise them, how to deal with pests and even new ways to display (or […]
New Albany is host to several public events during the year, most of them entertainment-oriented. One of the most successful, however, is different. For the past eight years the Union County Master Gardeners, with the Union County Extension Service, have held a spring home and garden show. While there are entertainment events during the show, […]
This past week we touted the value the UNITE Foundation has for Union County. Thursday night the organization handed out more than $20,000 to local agencies who work to improve the quality of our lives here. We noted that UNITE exists on the contributions of civic-minded individuals who have the best interests of Union County […]
Thursday night the UNITE Foundation awarded more than $20,000 to 18 local organizations. Other agencies give money to community groups but most, such as United Way, focus on specific charitable needs. UNITE is unique in that, although it does help charities, it emphasizes overall community improvement rather than needy individuals. This is the fourteenth year […]
The good news is that the Northeast Mississippi Community College campus at New Albany is so successful they need to expand. The bad news is that they don’t have enough room to do so. Northeast President Ricky Ford said this past week that if they are to add more credit classes and expand other programs, […]
In a reversal from previous years, the state legislature appears to be close to passing a bill that would make all superintendents of education in Mississippi appointive rather than elective. Senate Bill 2438 made it though the Senate and the House Education Committee unscathed and awaits action by the full House. State executive officials are […]
- UPDATE: Gazette moving to new location today April 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...