This Saturday the New Albany Main Street Association will have the second of three spring events built around a noon musical performance on the Trailhead Plaza across from City Hall. The series, dubbed Live @ Noon, is a latest in a number of marketing events designed to broaden the number of people who venture downtown […]
Archive | Editorials RSS feed for this section
It was about five years ago that Mayor Tim Kent first mentioned to us that he wanted to raise or replace the old railroad bridge over Main Street in downtown New Albany. The mayor thought the bridge, with the misspelled word painted on its side, was not attractive and was a safety hazard for trucks […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen voted Tuesday to allow its tourism department to serve alcohol at a dinner May 22 in the Park Along the River. The board voted 3 to 1 to allow alcohol to be served at a $50-a-plate event in the public park. Voting in favor were Aldermen Jeff Olson, Scott […]
It’s hard to think of the Union County Fair without Stanley Wise, but we are going to have to get used to it. Wise retired last Thursday as Mississippi State’s Union County Extension Director, ending nearly 30 years of work with extension service, the last 15 here in Union County. During Wise’s tenure the fair, […]
Here in New Albany we take great pride in our public schools and in our students and their accomplishments. One of the ways we recognize those accomplishments is the annual high school graduation ceremony. We are a close-knit community and each year many of our residents turn out to support a child, grandchild, niece, nephew, […]
The amount of money distributed this year by the United Way of Northeast Mississippi to agencies that serve Union County was a pleasant surprise. The United Way distributed $90,704 to 27 agencies, which is 50 percent more than the $60,525 last year. Last year was a low point in recent memory; the year before $77,405 […]
We applaud the selection by the college’s Board of Trustees of Ricky G. Ford of Booneville to take over as president of Northeast Mississippi Community College in July. Ford, currently executive vice-president of the school, has spent most of his career to this point at Northeast, serving as a coach, admissions counselor, athletic director and […]
New Albany got more good manufacturing news last week with the announcement of the expansion of VIP Cinema Seating in our community. The company, the world’s largest manufacturer of premium cinema seating, introduced luxury reclining seating to the theater industry in 2008 and has been on a roll ever since. The current expansion is into […]
The board members of the state Institutions of Higher Learning, known as the College Board, are in a mess. A mess that they created and hopefully the citizens of Mississippi eventually will fix. The board members embarrassed themselves and the state by refusing to renew the contract of University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones in […]
The New Albany Main Street Association has again come up with a new event to encourage more people to stroll and shop downtown. This Saturday, April 18, the association will sponsor something called Live @ Noon, a musical performance on the Trailhead Plaza across from City Hall. Singer-songwriter Tatum Shappley, a native of Ripley, who […]
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...