Next Thursday Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County will conduct another of its major community outreach programs. It’s the 2015 Community Health Fair, an opportunity for any person in our community to get a basic update on his or her health for little or no cost. Between 6:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. hospital personnel and volunteers will […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Vance Witt is an affable, soft-spoken man who does not crave the limelight. He also is a man with a distinguished career and a strong commitment to community service. In our opinion those qualities make him an excellent choice to be joining the Northeast Mississippi Community College’s Alumni Hall of Fame. The board chairman of […]
It seemed like a simple task. My wife asked me to call the phone company and order phone service at her mother’s new apartment in New Albany. “No problem; I’ll call today. She’ll probably have service by tomorrow,” I said. Boy, was I wrong.Things didn’t go well from the very first call. A pleasant, but […]
The effort by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County to offer quality-focused health care while controlling costs has reaped dividends both for patients and the hospital. Baptist is one of only three hospitals in the country recognized with the Quest Award for High-Value Healthcare. The other two hospitals are Memorial Hospital Miramar in Miramar, Fla., and West […]
I stepped down from the cab of the rental truck at the convenience store in Florence, Ala. We had only been on the road for two hours in the bumpy 15-foot truck, but I needed a Diet Coke. I reached into my pocket, but my wallet wasn’t there. “Do you have my wallet in your […]
Each year, after Tallahatchie RiverFest Weekend has come and gone, we take a look at the various activities and comment on how we think they fared. The bottom line is that we think in most respects it was a down year. There are probably lots of reasons. We’ll offer our opinion on several of them. […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors’ decision Monday to regulate the sale some powdered caffeine in the county was a good one. The ordinance makes it illegal to sell any product that contains more than 25 percent caffeine to anyone under the age of 18. Enforcement is up to the sheriff’s department and is handled […]
It’s Tallahatchie RiverFest Weekend and all of the activities that entails will be taking place this Friday and Saturday in New Albany. What started 26 years ago as the Tallahatchie River Run evolved three years later into a festival and now encompasses an entire weekend of activities. It gets under way at noon Friday with […]
This column originally appeared May 18, 2011, in the Gazette. It sounded pretty simple the first time we talked about it: Plan a week’s vacation to Florida. But it’s been anything but simple. It all started when my sister Donna and her husband Homer said they planned to spend two weeks this summer in Florida, […]
As we head into fall and the holidays ahead, we encourage you to give thought to your charitable giving plans for next year. The United Way of Northeast Mississippi is in the midst of its 2015 fundraising campaign and needs your help to meet the needs of helping-hand agencies in our area. The fundraising goal […]
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Columbus Day holiday won’t affect most services October 7, 2015
- City school board updates policy on overnight, other field trips October 7, 2015
- Kirk defeats cancer through faith in God, family October 7, 2015
- State Main Street president says local program one of best in state October 7, 2015
- Community Health Fair October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act to restrict limit downtown parking, yard sales October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act on several items but subdivision, sign, metal siding ordinances still not settled October 9, 2015
- Hospital ‘Tree of Love’ offers opportunity to honor others and help patients October 9, 2015
- Master Gardener Pat James becomes pumpkin man October 9, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on