Both Toyota Wellspring Education Fund and CREATE Foundation officials have been focusing on high school graduation rates and improved technical training as keys to the future success of our young people. This past week the Mississippi Department of Education released figures concerning state drop-out and graduation rates that show Union County’s schools are headed in […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
By Lisa Bryant With Mother’s Day approaching Sunday, my thoughts went to my mother and how much I miss her. It has been 12 years since I have had a Mother’s Day with my Mom. I lost my mother almost 13 years ago, but I don’t want this to be a sad column. That is […]
We continue to support a proposal to expand and upgrade our county library and a recent Pew Research study had both good and bad news in relation to that. Nationally, attendance has dropped a percent or two over each of the past four years. That’s not so good. The reason, however, appears to be that […]
Sometimes, no matter how worthy the cause, people get tired of giving. Mississippians are known for their charitable nature, but we all have limited finances to one degree or another and it can seem the number of charitable organizations that do good work is overwhelming. So far, that weariness does not appear to have set […]
By Lisa Bryant, general manager We have a new face at the Gazette. Walther Cecil “Sonny” Harrison IV has joined our staff in our Creative Services area. Sonny is the son of Walt and Ray Ann Harrison. Their family are lifelong residents of Union County. I met Sonny when he was just a few months […]
Much mischief has been caused following Gov. Phil Bryan’s signing of House Bill 1525, more formally known as the “Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act.” We have heard more comments, more heartfelt about this issue than any for several years, at least. The Gazette has been soundly chastised for not immediately running Rheta […]
Forest Thigpen, guest columnist If all the things being said by the opponents of HB 1523 were true, I would be against it as well. But they are not. Some opponents of the “Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act,” including Clarion-Ledger Executive Editor Sam Hall, make the outlandish assertion that this bill would allow […]
By Rheta Grimsley Johnson Jim Crow days are here again, in Mississippi, this time segregating gays and lesbians from fine, God-and-diversity-fearing citizens. But this latest mossback move to keep business at bay and our poor image intact might not stand. Why? Because some employers with big payrolls don’t like it. To paraphrase the Bible, a […]
MISSISSIPPI LEGISLATURE 2016 Regular Session To: Judiciary B By: Representatives Gunn, Arnold, Bounds, Carpenter, Gipson, Shirley, Boyd, Eubanks House Bill 1523 (As Sent to Governor) AN ACT TO CREATE THE “PROTECTING FREEDOM OF CONSCIENCE FROM GOVERNMENT DISCRIMINATION ACT”; TO PROVIDE CERTAIN PROTECTIONS REGARDING A SINCERELY HELD RELIGIOUS BELIEF OR MORAL CONVICTION FOR PERSONS, RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS […]
The New Albany Home and Garden Show this past Saturday benefitted from the cool, sunny weather early but it was likely the two dozen or so individual events that drew visitors. The comprehensive array of speakers covered flowers, vegetables, ways to raise them, how to deal with pests and even new ways to display (or […]
- UPDATE: Gazette moving to new location today April 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news May 4, 2016
- Being a mother is the best May 4, 2016
- Graduation rates looking up May 4, 2016
- Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations May 4, 2016
- City schools hope to weather governor’s, legislature’s budget cuts May 4, 2016
- Supervisors name new youth court referee, E-911 director May 4, 2016
- Deputies receive training in emergency control of trauma bleeding May 4, 2016
- Plenty to do this weekend May 4, 2016
- Herman J. Maxey May 4, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...