The primary election is still more than four months away, but we would think it is a whole lot closer looking around New Albany and Union County. We already are awash in campaign signs, especially near intersections on private property and in some cases on public property. The primary election is scheduled for Aug. 4. […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Sometimes procrastination pays off. At least that was my spin on the events last week when our garage door stopped working. It had been screeching much of the winter when I punched the remote-control button to raise or lower it. But I had chalked it up to the weather causing the tracks to contract a […]
The election-year hoopla by Mississippi elected officials about trying to reduce or even eliminate the state income tax has quietly subsided. Gov. Phil Bryant, Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and House Speaker Philip Gunn all trumpeted income tax relief, but in the end the House and Senate could not agree on a plan. Some have speculated […]
What were they thinking? That’s the question we have for board members of the state Institutions of Higher Learning, who decided not to renew the contract of University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones. The group, known as the college board, voted last week to remove Jones from his job in September and, then, after a […]
Well, it’s March – the time when my mind turns to sports, March Madness and our first glossy magazines of the year. I’ll admit that I spend a lot of time about now watching the NCAA college basketball tournament. I don’t really have any of my favorite teams in the tournament, but it just seems […]
This column is reprinted from the June 9, 2010, Gazette. Unpacking our CDs the other day was a lesson in generational differences. We’ve got a couple hundred and I had asked Joe, our son, to sort them by genre and then put them onto shelves. Soon, he was asking lots of questions. He was unpacking […]
Spring arrives at 5:45 p.m. Friday, according to the official charts. But for many of us, it sort of arrived Sunday when the sun and the temperature combined for a delightful day. We needed it, too, after snow, ice and seemingly unending rain that made for a somewhat miserable end of winter. Of course, we […]
The New Albany Police Department has decided to replace much of its paperwork normally written out by hand with an electronic system installed in patrol cars. Police Chief Chris Robertson said New Albany will be the first municipality in the state to switch to the e-Citation paperless system that currently is being used by the […]
Saturday night I was sitting on the couch reading a magazine when Jenny said she had seen something on Facebook that she thought would interest me. Now I’m not much of a Facebook person, but I decided to take a look. When I picked up my mobile phone, I couldn’t even find Facebook. It turns […]
The Mississippi Legislature has opted to stop meddling with graduation requirements in our schools, wisely leaving the issue with educators and the State Board of Education where it belongs. The Senate Education committee, chaired by Gray Tollison, an Oxford Republican, decided not to consider a bill that already had passed the House 119-0 that would […]
- Myrtle’s sixth ‘Music at the Tracks’ coming April 18 March 25, 2015
- Candidates reminded to not illegally place campaign signs April 1, 2015
- Thirteen vying for congressional seat left vacant by Nunnelee death April 1, 2015
- Myrtle man dies in head-on collision near Okolona April 1, 2015
- Stations of the Church marked on Palm Sunday April 1, 2015
- Campaign signage April 1, 2015
- Procrastination and garage doors April 1, 2015
- Legislature includes $175,000 in bond bill for city April 1, 2015
- ‘Down From the Hills’ music festival, bluegrass championship moving to park this year April 1, 2015
- Spring is here April 1, 2015
- Sahil Mehra: 500,000 cars produce is incredible by Toyota. Futu...
- Linda Mumaw Douglas: I bought two old Futorian chairs several years ago...
- Edward Straker: Everyone needs to understand child porn as the law...
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...