Dear Editor: In regard to the Gazette’s recent editorial opinion voicing opposition to private and home school, I am disappointed with the paper’s failure to objectively examine both sides of this issue. Yes, public school is the right choice for most parents and students. But, private school and home school exactly meet the needs of […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
The Toyota manufacturing plant in Union County reached another milestone this month – the production of the 500,000th Corolla to roll off the assembly line since the plant opened in 2011. The plant produced about 189,000 Corollas in 2014, which is a new high in annual production at the facility in Blue Springs. And the […]
Sunday afternoon I was looking over my resume on the computer. Now don’t jump to any conclusions. I’m not looking for another job. Some days I struggle enough just trying to do this one. No, I was looking back over it to see if there was anything on there that was an exaggeration. That’s a […]
The Mississippi Senate has wisely backed away from insisting that the state Board of Education adopt educational standards to be developed by a 27-member board created by the Legislature. On a 17-13 vote the Senate defeated a Tea-Party supported proposal that would have prevented the state board from continuing with the Common Core academic standards, […]
Early Sunday afternoon, Jenny and I were discussing whether we needed to get another loaf of bread in case freezing rain caused a power outage. I had been out Saturday morning buying groceries for the week, so we had a lot of food on hand. But the issue was how much of it was going […]
The issue of allowing home-schooled students to participate in all the sports and other activities of the local public school has again come up in the Mississippi Legislature. Fortunately, the state Senate, on a vote of 31 to 17, last week rejected the proposal sponsored by Sen. Joey Fillingane, a Sumrall Republican, that would have […]
Severe weather season seems to be getting earlier, and it’s time now to plan for the inevitable storms, tornado watches and tornado warnings in our area. We again urge you, if you have not already done so, to sign up for the CodeRED system available to all Union County residents. It’s sort of a reverse […]
Distracted drivers are an important safety issue across the nation and also in our state. Lots of things contribute to drivers’ being distracted, including talking on cell phones or fiddling with the increasingly complex stereo and navigation systems that now are available in many new cars. But one of the most dangerous is emailing or […]
My wife Jenny says that when I claimed that my hobby was gardening 17 years ago when we were dating that I was exaggerating a little. Well, really she says I was exaggerating a lot – that what I meant was I will mow the yard once in a while when I can’t talk our […]
Mississippi is the model for the nation in at least one area – the immunization rate among kindergarten students. Yes, in a state known for being last in so many things, we are first in protecting our children against the spread of preventable illnesses such as chickenpox, hepatitis B and measles. For instance, 99.7 percent […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Checking over my resume February 25, 2015
- Toyota production February 25, 2015
- Disappointed in editorial February 25, 2015
- Ingomar rallies late to post win February 25, 2015
- Falcons rally for win February 26, 2015
- Urchins fall to Chieftains’ scoring surge February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...