We’re not often impressed with consultants. Sometimes, we think, they make good money telling you what you already know or what you want to hear. But we think the decision several months ago by the Union County Development Association, backed by the city of New Albany and a local developer, to contract with Retail Strategies […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Well, it’s that time of year when I am reminded of how little I remember about what I learned in school. It’s the week when some of us are trying to remember our Roman numerals. Why Roman numerals, you ask? Because we’re inundated with stories and ads in newspapers and magazines and on television that […]
One of New Albany’s most well-known regional events is on tap this Saturday in the New Albany Memorial Gym. It’s the 24th annual Kiwanis Hotbed Classic, a premier prep sports event in Northeast Mississippi. “The Hotbed, often imitated, never duplicated” is the motto of the tournament, which is the granddaddy of them all when it […]
They were stacked on the buffet in the dining room. They were stacked on the dresser and the bedside tables in the bedroom. And they were stacked in the home office. Parts of the house were beginning to look a little like one of those TV shows about hoarders and hoarding. You know – the […]
Monday the state Department of Transportation painted new highly visible crosswalks on Bankhead Street at the intersections of Central Avenue, Railroad Avenue and Main Street. We think they will make downtown a little safer for pedestrians and will be helpful to visitors, especially at the Tanglefoot plaza. As we understand it, local resident Logan Rutledge, […]
Arrogance. There’s really no better word for the actions of the Mississippi Legislature in trying to prevent passage of a proposed state constitutional amendment that would require the state to meet its obligations to finance public education. The legislators hardly had time to dust off their chairs in the new legislative session before passing a […]
Now that the hoopla surrounding the introduction of Jake Hill as the new football coach at New Albany High School is over, we want to add our note of welcome. Hill was hired Dec. 12 by the New Albany School Board of Trustees and was introduced, along with his wife and children, at a community […]
My wife Jenny was a little pessimistic when she heard what I wanted for Christmas. She suggested I would get it and then resist spending the time required to learn to use it. I had asked her for a new computer. Not just any computer, but one of those Microsoft Surface Pro 3s that claims […]
The New Albany Board of Aldermen this week finally disposed of an issue that has been before the board for seven months – whether residents should be allowed to keep chickens in residential neighborhoods. The board sensibly decided that chickens belong on farms, not in close-in developed areas. The only head-scratcher about this is why […]
Gazette reporter Angie Barmer was showing off the present she got for Christmas. It looked like one of those new computer tablets that keep getting smaller and smaller. Turns out I was wrong. It was a phone. And have you noticed they keep getting bigger and bigger? Angie got an iPhone 6 Plus. Apparently the […]
- Downtown crosswalks January 21, 2015
- When numerals are Roman January 28, 2015
- Hancock enters supervisor, District 1 race January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co. to build new warehouse January 28, 2015
- Retail Strategies January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- E-911 upgrade to cost county $100,000-plus January 28, 2015
- Imperial Trading Co., former grocery wholesaler, to expand January 28, 2015
- Former city clerk dies at 100 January 28, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...