Elsie Melton Stokes, of Greenville, S.C., passed away on Wednesday, Aug. 25, 2010. She was born in New Albany, the daughter of the late Lon and Estella Williams Melton. She was predeceased by her husband, Woodrow Stokes; a brother: Harold Melton; and a half-brother: Dalton Gober. She was the beloved mother of a daughter and […]
James Edward Wilson, 81, died peacefully in his sleep on Aug. 12, 2010, in Indianapolis, Ind. Mr. Wilson was born in Ecru on Feb. 7, 1929, to Lloyd and Lora Wilson. He grew up in New Albany with two brothers, Roland and Bill, and one sister, Martha Nell. Mr. Wilson played several sports but excelled […]
Reported Structure Fires: 6 Reported commercial structure fires: 2 Residential alarms: 0 Commercial alarms: 4 Rescue/Extrication: 8 EMS assists calls: 0 Vehicle fires: 1 Rubbish fires: 3 Misc. calls: 7 Service calls: 10 Total runs for the month of August: 41 August was a busy Month for our fire fighting crews. We started the first week off with two structure fires that […]
Thomas Swindle, 1092 CR 83, New Albany, 61, was charged with contempt of court at 1:45 p.m., Aug. 29, 2010. Orlando King, 1035 CR 6, Myrtle, 23, was charged with driving with a suspended driver’s license at 1:45 p.m., Aug. 29, 2010. Justin Clay Ware, 1071 CR 326, New Albany, 19, was charged with a […]
August 20 CR 329: Caller advised some pills were stolen from a lock box in her house. McGraw St.: Man having trouble with his wife. CR 32: Caller advised horse in the road between CR 47 and hwy 355. Hwy 349: Caller advised subject with loud truck across the road from him making a lot […]
Just one week after the Mississippi Department of Transportation announced it was releasing a $4.5 million grant to help complete the proposed Tanglefoot Trail, a construction crew was on site Thursday morning to begin work. Crew members were hard at work Thursday morning removing railroad ties from the former Tennessee-Railnet. The trail, which is set […]
Like all school districts throughout the state of Mississippi, both New Albany and Union County School Districts learned the results of the school accountability rankings this week and the reactions are mixed. While Union County schools have generally seen improvement in their test scores and rankings, New Albany remained somewhat stagnant compared to last year. […]
Early survey response from New Albany students about a program requiring them to do summer reading is somewhat negative. Is anyone surprised? Taking a survey of students about whether they want to do school work during the summer is sort of like asking them if they like doing the dishes or scrubbing the toilet. That […]
September 13-17 Monday Breakfast Br. Pizza, Cereal, Milk/Juice Lunch Line 1 McRibs, Baked Beans, Creamy Coleslaw, Raisins, Waldorf Salad, Milk/Juice, Fruit Crisp Lunch Line 2 Hamburger, Baked Beans, Creamy Coleslaw, Raisins, Waldorf Salad, Milk/Juice Tuesday Breakfast Sausage/Biscuit, Cereal, Milk/Juice Lunch Line 1 C. F. Steak/Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Field Peas, Watermelon Wedge , Juice Bars, Cornbread, […]
With the month of September officially designated as Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, the physicians at New Albany Urology are urging men to stay current on their annual prostate exam and screening. According to the National Cancer Institute, in 2010, there has already been 32,050 prostate-cancer related deaths. Prostate cancer is a serious disease that affects […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry