Most New Albany residents probably don’t realize it but the city is in a nearly unique position in terms of its utilities: “It’s only one of three in the state to own all four of its own utilities,” light, gas and water manager Bill Mattox said (the other two are Canton and Holly Springs). That […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
Union County supervisors are still trying to determine whether the possession of firearms can be prohibited in the courthouse and chancery court building. At the previous week’s meeting, board members said several county officials had received notices from the office of state attorney general Jim Hood that signs prohibiting the possession of firearms in the […]
Solid-waste collection in Union County was cancelled Monday due to bad weather. As a result, the Monday route will be collected Wednesday, Feb. 18, instead. At newspaper deadline time the Tuesday route was expected to be collected as usual. The city garbage routes were not affected.
With the advent of severe weather season, Union County Emergency Management Director Curt Clayton is urging anyone who has not done so to sign up for the CodeRED program. CodeRED is a service that makes automated phone calls alerting citizens to dangerous weather conditions or other threatening or unusual situations. One of its most important […]
After years of the program’s being dormant, New Albany aldermen heard from the recently-reactivated Historic Preservation Commission formally for the first time at their monthly meeting Tuesday. Laura Dunnam spoke on behalf of the commission (which is also the city’s parking committee). “We just wanted to present some things presented to us and find the […]
Mississippi has the highest prevalence of heart disease not only in the U. S. but also all of the United States Territories. Mississippi also has the third-worst record for stroke-related deaths. While we can do nothing about many heart disease risk factors, there are plenty of others that can be controlled. Monday, Dr. Darrell Sneed […]
The races for Union County supervisor continue to heat up following the announcement this past month that long-time Fifth District Supervisor Benny Rakestraw and Third District Supervisor and board president Danny Jordan are retiring and not seeking re-election. Eight more candidates have qualified since this past week – six of them for supervisor. Republicans Bo […]
The Union County Sheriff’s Office has had a full week in terms of drug enforcement, charging five different individuals with possession or sale of methamphetamine. They also handled one Homeland Security case involving identity theft. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the first case involved Damaris Jean Browning, 34, of 1236 CR 14, Myrtle. “We had a […]
Staff reports Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol Troopers are trying to learn why a pickup truck apparently veered into the path of an oncoming SUV Sunday, killing both drivers. Dead are Brenda Garrison Harris, 39, of CR 59, New Albany, and Tyler Loden, 21, of Blue Mountain. The collision occurred about 3:45 p.m. Sunday on Hwy. […]
Aldermen moved to take a step that could lead to expanding coverage by the city gas department at the monthly board meeting Tuesday. Light, gas and water manager Bill Mattox told board members that Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley has talked about expanding the city’s gas service footprint in Marshall and Union counties. […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...