The Town of Myrtle is well into its annual home property maintenance program that runs from spring through October each year. City officials compile a list of residences where yards are unkempt or junk is piled up and send warning letters to owners asking them to clean the property to avoid fines. About a dozen […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
The Mississippi Department of Transportation announced Wednesday that it planned to open two southbound lanes of State Route 15 in Union County from the New Albany city limits to the Tippah County line. The road was expected to be open about 10 a.m. Thursday, May 14. Crews will still have minor work to complete in […]
A joint arrest by the Union County Sheriff’s Department, Drug Enforcement Agency, Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics and U.S. Marshals’ Service Friday brought in a couple believed by officers to be long-time high-grade methamphetamine dealers. Arrested were Bobby J. Graham, 42, of 1074 CR 43, Etta, and Kimberly Underwood, 37, of the same address. Sheriff Jimmy […]
When in 1861 women of New Albany were busy sewing together pieces of red, white and blue silk, and in careful, elegant script embroidering New Albany Grays on a two-sided, 11-star company flag, did they imagine that it would survive the Civil War and Hurricane Katrina and other events through time and be back […]
New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults will have its annual fish fry Wednesday, May 20, starting about 11:30 a.m. at the center on Garfield Street. A ground-breaking ceremony will be held at noon for the planned addition, which will include a new kitchen, handicapped-accessible restrooms and a large multi-purpose activities room. “It’s just a […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors was able to move ahead with efforts to obtain a capital improvement loan of up to $1.5 million Monday, after no one objected to the plan at a public hearing. The money, along with a $1.5-million Community Development Block Grant being sought, will be used for what officials are […]
The Union County Sheriff’s Department experienced a flashback to the Age of Aquarius this past week when it encountered a group of what might be described as counter-culture musicians passing through the area. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said canine officer Adam Fitts was on patrol about 1:30 a.m. Thursday on Hwy. 78 when he got behind […]
The annual Senior Citizens Day presented through a grant with the Union County Sheriff’s Department will be next Thursday, May 21, at the Union County Fairgrounds. The program will again be in the arena and begin about 10:34 a.m. As usual, a fish lunch will be served at noon. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said Doug Hill […]
The New Albany Police Department is again participating in the national Click It or Ticket safety program that runs May 18-31 and includes the Memorial Day Weekend. The department has received a grant that will pay for overtime to allow officers to set up checkpoints and add patrols to check for seatbelt and child seat […]
New Albany Superintendent of Schools Jackie Ford, right, presents a certificate of appreciation to Melanie Anderson. The board of trustees wanted to thank Anderson for her outstanding work as clerk of the board and had the certificate created. She also is the executive assistant to Ford, as well as keeping other school district operations running […]
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...