Union County law enforcement officials have four persons in custody and are looking for a fifth in connection with a burglary in the Pinedale area. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the burglary occurred Tuesday when someone broke into a home and locked barn shed. “They stole a zero-turn Gravely lawnmower, two backpack leaf blowers, some tires, […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
Union County received from 2.5 to 6.5 inches of snow Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service. The amount depends on what part of the county was involved with the heaviest amount in the extreme southeast corner of the county and only a couple of inches for the extreme northwest part. The snow came quickly […]
It’s that time of year when you will lose an hour’s sleep…but the days will suddenly seem longer because you gain an hour of daylight. That’s because Daylight Saving Time takes effect at 2 a.m., Sunday, March 8. The time change, observed by most but not all U. S. states (Arizona and Hawaii don’t use […]
The board of directors of the Union County Historical Society opened bids Tuesday for a $1.6-million planned expansion of the Union County Heritage Museum, disappointed to find the lowest bid about 35 percent higher than expected. The apparent low bidder was Jaycon Development Corp. of Memphis, submitting a base price of $1,365,000. Board members were […]
Today is the final day candidates can qualify to run for office in the upcoming county party primaries Aug. 4. Those who want to enter a race at the last minute would do well not to wait until nearly 5 p.m., however. That’s particularly true for an independent candidate. Candidates declaring a party affiliation just […]
The National Weather Service has a wide array of technology at its disposal but a critical part of its storm-warning capability remains simple and somewhat old-fashioned. That’s sets of eyes on the ground. “Spotters play a very important role in storm warning,” Gary Woodall, with the Memphis office of the weather service said. While radar […]
New Albany and Union County are already growing as an arts community and working to become a part of the “creative economy” philosophy being promoted by state tourism officials. One of the plusses here is that we have three members of the Craftsmen’s Guild of Mississippi: Tommy Sappington, Allen Stanford and Charles Buster. New Albany […]
Gov. Phil Bryant Tuesday set May 12 as the date for the special election to fill the 1st District U.S. House of Representatives seat left vacant by the death of Alan Nunnelee. Nunnelee, a Republican from Tupelo, died on Feb. 6 from cancer. He had just been elected to a third term. The election will […]
By Margaret McCraw Deepest sympathy to the families of Dean Pannell who recently died. I enjoyed a nice visit last Saturday, Feb. 21, from my cousins who live in Memphis and Horn Lake. First cousin Hulan “Jack” Roberts, age 95, and his two sons, Jerry and Mike. He lost his oldest son Jackie in early […]
By Loretta Easley Hello to Twanda Little who is improving nicely after a short illness. She is always busy with household chores. By the way, she is a good cook also. The weather may be icy before you read this. Spring weather only last a few days and then winter sets in again this time […]
- County makes arrests in area burglaries March 4, 2015
- Sunday is day to ‘spring forward’ to Daylight Saving Time March 4, 2015
- Still no decision on Extension Office renovation; gun carrying prohibition clarified March 6, 2015
- NA police switching to electronic citation system March 6, 2015
- Futorian descendents visit to learn more about family history March 6, 2015
- East Union Attendance Center beauty review March 6, 2015
- East Union students help save lives of two wreck victims March 6, 2015
- Blue Springs seeks grant for more police presence March 6, 2015
- City considering plan for bike path to connect west side to park, downtown March 6, 2015
- City schools look at long-range planning, make staff appointments March 6, 2015
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...