Competitors from Illinois, Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi gathered at the Union County Fairgrounds Saturday for the 4th Mississippi Bluegrass Competitions and the 12the Down From the Hills Heritage Music Festival. There were 71 individual competitors and seven bands, and the sounds of Mississippi’s old-time music resounded throughout the fairgrounds. “This was one of our […]
As the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) continues to try to provide a safe, efficient and sustainable intermodal transportation network for the traveling public, below is a partial list of project updates in North Mississippi’s District One and Two. “In an effort to provide the public with timely information regarding current transportation improvement projects, MDOT […]
By Patsy R. Brumfield/NEMS Daily Journal NEW ALBANY – A special judge denied all issues offered by attorneys for a death-row inmate convicted in the 2001 shooting death in New Albany. Monday, Senior Judge Samac Richardson of Rankin County issued a ruling from a three-day evidentiary hearing in New Albany. The hearing aimed at fleshing […]
The phrase “a dog is man’s best friend” should have special meaning for Sheriff Jimmy Edwards. Thanks to the department’s drug and tracking dog, Dutch, they have received a check for $100,000 as part of funds seized in a drug case. The sheriff said the case began with the Department of Transportation pulled over a […]
It seems like only a few weeks ago that I was given the green light to cover sports for the school year for this paper. Actually, it was mid-August right before the first football game, but my how the time has flown. We flew through the fall sports with football, slow-pitch softball, cross country, and […]
Monday night was one of redemption for East Union, and in the end, destiny was fulfilled, and the Urchins are set to play for the 2A state championship in Pearl. For Alex Boland, redemption came on offense Monday night. Miscommunication hurt the senior catcher and pitcher Cody Bo Dillard during Sunday’s game two of the […]
There’s no panic in the dugout for the Urchins. Despite a 12-1 setback to Taylorsville in the first game of the 2A state championship on Wednesday, East Union has confidence heading into Friday’s game two with both of its top pitchers rested and ready to go. Young arms saw action for the Urchins on Wednesday, […]
There is a new dinosaur in town, and it’s out in front of the Union County Heritage Museum on Cleveland Street. The almost-seven-foot-tall critter is part of a new look at the museum and is a gift of the Museum Guild. And this dinosaur needs a name. There is a contest underway to name the […]
With Memorial Day coming up and Flag Day not far behind, here is a reminder on how to treat the Stars and Stripes: Flag Day was set aside to honor the adoption of the American flag by the Second Continental Congress on June 14, 1777. It wasn’t until 1916 that it was officially established as […]
Kevin Dale White will be the new Ward 3 alderman, replacing long-time alderman Tommie Beasley, who is retiring. White defeated Larry Dykes 188 votes to 149 in Tuesday’s run-off – the only race that required one. All other New Albany races were settled in the party primaries May 7 except for that for Ward 4 […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs felled by second half against Itawamba August 29, 2015
- New four-lane section of Hwy. 45 open September 4, 2015
- College and career night to be held at career and tech center September 4, 2015
- NAHS to hold Senior Parent Night September 4, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Ground game leads Bulldogs to win over Pontotoc September 5, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry