By Susan Hooker The first days of February have ranged from rain to sleet in the neighborhood. This weather is typical for Mississippi as one day we are battling the cold, and then the next day the forecast will be balmy with tornado warnings. The Class of 1950 of Hurricane High hosted a birthday bash […]
Archive | Community News RSS feed for this section
By Martha Swindle The Founder’s Day Committee is planning the upcoming 125th celebration for Saturday, March 23. Current and former Sherman residents are asked to send in their favorite recipes for the Founders Day Cookbook to P.O. Box 434, Sherman, MS 38869. Or if already typed, please email them to email@example.com. The cookbook will include […]
By Lou McQuary Olivia Williams was honored with a surprise 16th birthday party on Sunday, Jan. 13, at the Family Life Center after church. She had an adorable cake with the number 16 on top of it. It was made by Joann Lowery. Guests were served Subway sandwiches, chips, dip and cake. Olivia opened many […]
By Martha Swindle The Founder’s Day Committee will meet this Thursday, Jan. 17, at Town Hall to discuss the upcoming 125th celebration. Anyone interested in attending and helping plan the activities of this memorial occasion is very welcome. See you at 7 p.m. The Sherman Baptist Men’s fellowship breakfast will be Sunday, Jan. 20, at […]
By Lou McQuary On Monday, Jan. 7, Macedonia sponsored a Tailgate Party in which the men enjoyed the national championship game. Ultimate hot wings, shrimp, and pizza were served and “Minute to Win It” games were played during breaks. Coach Ron Price spoke at half time. On Tuesday, Jan. 8, Anna Claire and Nicole McQuary […]
By Martha Swindle Fire Chief Brad McMurry presented the Sherman Fire Department’s end-of-the-year report for January through December 2012. The volunteer fire department had 71 total calls of which there were 13 grass fires, 6 structure fires, 6 vehicle fires, 37 medical calls, 6 cancelled in route, 2 hazmat, and 1 severe weather. Sherman Baptist […]
By Lou McQuary Kathryn Henderson enjoyed a trip to Destin Dec. 26-31. Going on the trip with her were Michelle Thompson; Sharon, Terry, Grant, Emily and Ada Hendrix; Norma Wallace; and Jaime and Parker Henderson. They rode bikes and visited one of their favorite restaurants, The Back Porch. Terry took Parker to see the planes […]
By Susan Hooker (Intended for last week) Christmas 2012 was celebrated with family gatherings, church programs, and fireworks in the neighborhoods surrounding Hurricane. Charlie Hicks hosted his family for their annual seafood supper with Jim, Pam and Jamie Hicks of Lexington, Tim, Lacy, and Rhiannon Hicks of Longview, Chipper and Debra Hicks of Lafayette, and Roger […]
By Gretchin Moody Anna Loyce Stokes will celebrate her 100th birthday on Jan. 14. If you would like to mail a card to her you can send it to: Sunshine Healthcare, 1677 Hwy. 9 North, Pontotoc, MS 38863. Goodtimers met Tuesday, Jan. 8. Guest speaker was Mayor Tom Todd. Gable and Barbara Todd and Caleb […]
By Martha Hardy Out with the old and in with the new. We have heard this said many times in the past. I just hope and pray that 2013 will be a much better year for all those within our readership, as well as for our nation and world. However, I fear that unless the […]
- Burdette to lead Bulldogs May 19, 2015
- State of the Region meeting set for Wednesday May 22, 2015
- MHP to step up enforcement over holiday weekend May 22, 2015
- Kids’ cooking class offered next week May 22, 2015
- Frazier memorial motorcycle ride will be Saturday May 22, 2015
- NAHS administrator chosen Principal of the Year May 22, 2015
- Cancer Relay for Life date will be June 5 May 22, 2015
- Award-winning writer doesn’t follow the rules May 22, 2015
- Spray park in sportsplex opens Saturday May 22, 2015
- Office will be open Saturday morning for absentee voting May 22, 2015
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
- David: While many Countries around the world have similar...