The burglary Monday night of Rite-Aid Pharmacy may be part of a string of break-ins that has attracted the interest of the federal Drug Enforcement Agency and Fugitive Task Force. What first appeared to be a single burglary – although an unusual type for New Albany – is being possibly linked to one in Pontotoc, […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
Union County’s unemployment rate for December was 5.8 percent – not quite one-half percentage point up from 5.4 in November. Even with the increase, our county had the 10th-lowest jobless rate in the state, better than 12th place a month ago. The average rate for Mississippi did not fare as well, increasing from 6.4 percent […]
The New Albany Municipal Separate School District announced winners of the Teacher of the Year honors this past week for each school and for the entire district. Robin Lindsey is the New Albany High School Teacher of the Year and also District Teacher of the Year. She has been teaching 30 years. She taught […]
As expected, the retirement announcement this past week by long-time Fifth District Supervisor Danny Jordan has led to a rash of candidates seeking the post he holds now. Three more residents qualified since this past week, bringing the total to six so far. They are Robert Hogue, David Kent and Roger Tate, joining David Kitchens, […]
A new surgeon has joined the staff of Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, but he is far from being a stranger. Dr. Perrin Roten, who will have his practice out of the same office as Dr. H. F. Mason, grew up in Ripley. His father, Dr. Donald Roten, is a long-established dentist there and […]
The cast and crew list had been released for “Mary Poppins,” this year’s New Albany High School musical. New Albany is the first to obtain permission to present the classic play in the entire region and co-director Phil Nanney said it is their largest and most ambitious with a cast and crew of about 150. […]
By Margaret McCraw I was so saddened to hear last Tuesday, January 20th, of the death of Lynwood Basden Roberts. Lynwood was a brother to Carolyn Roberts of our community and church and had suffered some time from a cancer. However, Carolyn did tell me he was able to attend their last family gathering which […]
By Loretta Easley A big hello to all on this Monday, Jan. 19. The temperature reached the upper sixties and the temperature looks good for the next week. Some of the younger folk were out bare foot and in shorts today. I think we will be glad to see spring. Peggy Bell spent Monday with […]
New Albany police were on the scene early Tuesday investigating a break-in at Rite-Aid Pharmacy in the Bramlett Shopping Center that apparently netted burglars a quantity of drugs and cash. When store staff arrived about 7:45 they entered and noticed the alarm system was not working properly, then saw the ATM near the front […]
New Albany may be blessed with a vibrant downtown and bustling retail trade area in many respects, but we could be doing much better. According to an analysis presented by Retail Strategies, each year nearly $10.3 million is leaving Union County to be spent in other towns for groceries alone. Full-service restaurants in other towns […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...