The economic future of our region looks bright but key to the success of coming generations is increasing career awareness and providing readiness training from an early age. That means more money for education. That conclusion is part of what came out of a public forum here Wednesday sponsored by the CREATE Foundation and Toyota […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
Union County unemployment rate for July was 6.8 percent, slightly better than June’s 6.9 percent and again lowest among not only Northeast Mississippi counties but this month the entire north half of the state as well. Figures released by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security listed Union as having the eighth-lowest jobless rate statewide. Most […]
Twelve years ago, New Birth Community Church did not even exist. But pastor and founder Jonathan Tucker had a vision. He was able to start his church and move into a small building on Clark Street just east of the old Irwin B. Schwabe shirt factory. His vision went beyond that, however, and this Sunday […]
Thursday night brings the first game of the 2014 season for the East Union Urchins. This year, the Urchins begin on the road, facing the Houlka Wildcats who will meet East Union at Okolona High School. Similar to the Urchins situation in previous years, Houlka does not have its own football field. “I’m happy with […]
Union County’s most famous fugitives, Janet and Ramon Barreto, are expected to be returned to New Albany this Friday or Saturday, Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said. Since going to get the couple in Portland and returning them either by way of air or in a sheriff’s car would be both impractical and expensive, the county has […]
Wayne Mahon submitted his qualifying papers this past week to seek re-election as the Fifth County School District member on the board of trustees. Circuit Clerk Phyllis Stanford said the paperwork was in order with the required number of verified signatures and she expected certification by the election commission Monday to be only a formality. […]
Union County supervisors gave preliminary approval to the Union County Fire Department budget Monday, although they have just begun discussing other parts of the county department budgets. The reason for the action is that a large part of fire department funding comes from insurance rebate money from the state insurance commissioner’s office and there is […]
While discussions on the city’s efforts to rid the town of unfit structures and whether it is proper to keep chickens drew most interest, New Albany aldermen had the rest of a two-page agenda to deal with at their monthly meeting Tuesday. Concerning continuing improvements to the downtown area both for visitors and residents, the […]
New Albany law enforcement reported an usual arrest – certainly the first of its type in a long time according to Chief Chris Robertson – when two individuals were charged with solicitation of prostitution. The arrests came shortly after about 10 p.m. Saturday, he said, after Pilot Truck Stop personnel called to report suspicious activity […]
New Albany police have charged two area men with grand larceny, accusing them of taking tools from HMC Sales at 910 Hwy. 30 West. Arrested were Matthew Jordan of Blue Springs and Julian Washington of Pontotoc County. Investigator Jeff Chism said the crime happened Aug. 9. The suspects waited in the back of the large […]
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Hawks fall 3-1 to Corinth on Willams’ homerun hit August 19, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Keep “Feet” on tour August 22, 2014
- CREATE program looks for ways to improve career readiness August 22, 2014
- County’s jobless rate lowest in north half of Mississippi August 22, 2014
- New Birth Community Church to hold open house Sunday August 22, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?