The board of directors of the Union County Historical Society opened bids Tuesday for a $1.6-million planned expansion of the Union County Heritage Museum, disappointed to find the lowest bid about 35 percent higher than expected. The apparent low bidder was Jaycon Development Corp. of Memphis, submitting a base price of $1,365,000. Board members were […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
Today is the final day candidates can qualify to run for office in the upcoming county party primaries Aug. 4. Those who want to enter a race at the last minute would do well not to wait until nearly 5 p.m., however. That’s particularly true for an independent candidate. Candidates declaring a party affiliation just […]
The National Weather Service has a wide array of technology at its disposal but a critical part of its storm-warning capability remains simple and somewhat old-fashioned. That’s sets of eyes on the ground. “Spotters play a very important role in storm warning,” Gary Woodall, with the Memphis office of the weather service said. While radar […]
New Albany and Union County are already growing as an arts community and working to become a part of the “creative economy” philosophy being promoted by state tourism officials. One of the plusses here is that we have three members of the Craftsmen’s Guild of Mississippi: Tommy Sappington, Allen Stanford and Charles Buster. New Albany […]
Gov. Phil Bryant Tuesday set May 12 as the date for the special election to fill the 1st District U.S. House of Representatives seat left vacant by the death of Alan Nunnelee. Nunnelee, a Republican from Tupelo, died on Feb. 6 from cancer. He had just been elected to a third term. The election will […]
By Margaret McCraw Deepest sympathy to the families of Dean Pannell who recently died. I enjoyed a nice visit last Saturday, Feb. 21, from my cousins who live in Memphis and Horn Lake. First cousin Hulan “Jack” Roberts, age 95, and his two sons, Jerry and Mike. He lost his oldest son Jackie in early […]
By Loretta Easley Hello to Twanda Little who is improving nicely after a short illness. She is always busy with household chores. By the way, she is a good cook also. The weather may be icy before you read this. Spring weather only last a few days and then winter sets in again this time […]
By Martha Hardy Greetings from the very cold Hardy hilltop. We have really been having some wintertime weather. We all talk about the weather, but can’t do anything about it so we just might as well roll with the tide. The weather was indirectly responsible for my having missed church Sunday morning as I could […]
For seven years now, the New Albany City Beautification Committee has been placing decorative street signs in neighborhoods throughout New Albany. There have been 314 decorative street signs put up since the inception of this project, which was 2008, at a cost of $117, 750. The remaining street signs have been approved to be purchased […]
Union County supervisors opened bids Monday for a project to renovate the Union County-MSU Extension Office at the fairgrounds, but it was not clear whether the project would proceed. The concrete block building, more than 60 years old, has interior wall damage, ceiling damage and water drainage problems in that it sits on a flat […]
- Barretta working to increase awareness of Northeast Mississippi blues influence February 25, 2015
- Weather causes rescheduling of Union County/New Albany girls basketball February 23, 2015
- Lady Falcons win division tournament February 26, 2015
- New Albany holds off Greenwood to advance February 26, 2015
- Rebels season ended by Hornets February 26, 2015
- Enrich the museum February 27, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- Today last chance to qualify for county elections February 27, 2015
- Local storm spotters play vital role in severe weather forecasting February 27, 2015
- New Albany gains representation on Craftsmen’s Guild board with Buster appointment February 27, 2015
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...