The New Albany Police Department is in the process of becoming entirely paperless in terms of citations and related documents. Police Chief Chris Robertson told aldermen at their monthly meeting Tuesday that New Albany has the opportunity to become the first municipality in the state to switch to the E Citation paperless law enforcement system. […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
Union County supervisors still have not decided on bids submitted this past week for the renovation and limited expansion of the MSU-Union County Extension Service office at the fairgrounds. The bids had come in higher than expected, supervisors said, but part of the higher cost may have been due to adding work that would delay […]
A Union County solid-waste employee, Randy Lyons, underwent emergency surgery in Tupelo Monday afternoon as a result of being crushed between two vehicles on the job. Another Union County man now faces three felony charges as a result. Lyons is also a recently-announced candidate for District Three Supervisor. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the incident occurred […]
The qualifying period for county elections ended Friday with more of a bang than a whimper as nearly a dozen more citizens announced their candidacy the last two days. The last qualifier, Greg Elder, came in about 4:30 p.m., before the 5 p.m. deadline. Candidates declaring party affiliations only had to submit their papers and […]
Union County law enforcement officials have four persons in custody and are looking for a fifth in connection with a burglary in the Pinedale area. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the burglary occurred Tuesday when someone broke into a home and locked barn shed. “They stole a zero-turn Gravely lawnmower, two backpack leaf blowers, some tires, […]
Union County received from 2.5 to 6.5 inches of snow Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service. The amount depends on what part of the county was involved with the heaviest amount in the extreme southeast corner of the county and only a couple of inches for the extreme northwest part. The snow came quickly […]
It’s that time of year when you will lose an hour’s sleep…but the days will suddenly seem longer because you gain an hour of daylight. That’s because Daylight Saving Time takes effect at 2 a.m., Sunday, March 8. The time change, observed by most but not all U. S. states (Arizona and Hawaii don’t use […]
The board of directors of the Union County Historical Society opened bids Tuesday for a $1.6-million planned expansion of the Union County Heritage Museum, disappointed to find the lowest bid about 35 percent higher than expected. The apparent low bidder was Jaycon Development Corp. of Memphis, submitting a base price of $1,365,000. Board members were […]
Today is the final day candidates can qualify to run for office in the upcoming county party primaries Aug. 4. Those who want to enter a race at the last minute would do well not to wait until nearly 5 p.m., however. That’s particularly true for an independent candidate. Candidates declaring a party affiliation just […]
The National Weather Service has a wide array of technology at its disposal but a critical part of its storm-warning capability remains simple and somewhat old-fashioned. That’s sets of eyes on the ground. “Spotters play a very important role in storm warning,” Gary Woodall, with the Memphis office of the weather service said. While radar […]
- County makes arrests in area burglaries March 4, 2015
- Special U.S. House election to be May 12 February 27, 2015
- Just another trip to Oxford March 4, 2015
- Election season March 4, 2015
- Lady Falcons log thirtieth win in quarterfinal contest March 5, 2015
- NA police switching to electronic citation system March 6, 2015
- Still no decision on Extension Office renovation; gun carrying prohibition clarified March 6, 2015
- Testing for graduation March 6, 2015
- Ingomar defeats Montgomery County for semi-final appearance March 5, 2015
- Baggett leads Eagles to win over Bogue Chitto March 5, 2015
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...
- Bill: Heading to Memphis, Clarksdale, Natchez & New ...
- Alodia Verhage Cruz: I agree with the article except for one small part...
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...