The City of New Albany became something of a surprise beneficiary of the $249.5 million bond bill passed by the legislature Monday when it was learned the bill included $175,000 for the city. The money was designated for “(i) construction, development and enhancement of and upgrades and improvements to bicycle trails, (ii) repair and renovation […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
“Down From the Hills” music festival began in 2003, the brainchild of Union County Heritage Museum Director Jill Smith as a way to help preserve the Scots and Irish music that is a part of the community’s cultural heritage. Its first year saw some invited performers but there was also the suggestion of simply having […]
A Senatobia man remains jailed in Union County after a brief high-speed chase and manhunt Friday night. Charged with three felonies, felony fleeing, felony shoplifting and felony possession of cocaine, is James D. Bush, 44, of 535 Country Club Rd., Senatobia. Police investigators Bing Wildman and Jeff Chism said Bush is accused of pushing a […]
By Stephanie Rebman and Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – A Myrtle man died in a Chickasaw County crash Friday afternoon south of Okolona. According to Mississippi Highway Patrol’s Criss Turnipseed, the fatal crash happened about 3:30 p.m. on Mississippi Highway 245 about half a mile north of U.S. Highway 45 […]
The deadline to qualify to run in the May 12 special election to fill the First Congressional Seat passed Friday afternoon with one potential candidate dropping out and one being added at the last minute. Columbus businessman Danny Bedwell did not get the 1,000 petition signatures needed to qualify, blaming the lack on himself. The […]
Election season is here again and with that comes campaign signs. Given the number of candidates seeking local offices this year, we likely will be seeing a lot of signs. As a result, city, county and state officials are reminding candidates to be aware of where they can legally place signs and where they can’t. […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors Monday approved a proclamation that would designate our county as a “Purple Heart County.” The proclamation was a request from the Military Order of the Purple Heart as part of a plan to make the entire state a Purple Heart State and honor veterans who have been wounded and […]
Union Countians may see near-freezing temperatures this weekend but warm weather should be here to stay soon and organizers have already started working on this year’s Biscuits and Jam Farmers’ Market. Master Gardeners Pat and Lisa James are again overseeing the event with Mary Jennifer Russell coordinating crafts and food vendors. “Everything is pretty much […]
- Myrtle’s sixth ‘Music at the Tracks’ coming April 18 March 25, 2015
- Candidates reminded to not illegally place campaign signs April 1, 2015
- Thirteen vying for congressional seat left vacant by Nunnelee death April 1, 2015
- Myrtle man dies in head-on collision near Okolona April 1, 2015
- Stations of the Church marked on Palm Sunday April 1, 2015
- Campaign signage April 1, 2015
- Procrastination and garage doors April 1, 2015
- Legislature includes $175,000 in bond bill for city April 1, 2015
- ‘Down From the Hills’ music festival, bluegrass championship moving to park this year April 1, 2015
- Spring is here April 1, 2015
- Sahil Mehra: 500,000 cars produce is incredible by Toyota. Futu...
- Linda Mumaw Douglas: I bought two old Futorian chairs several years ago...
- Edward Straker: Everyone needs to understand child porn as the law...
- Bradley Wells: Daniel rhynes has been stealing for yrs and blamin...
- Ian Somer: I can clearly see one thing here: no one genuinely...