School starts next Wednesday in New Albany and Union County schools, which means it is time for all of us to slow down and start paying closer attention to our driving. Many drivers speed in residential areas, often driving 35 to 45 miles per hour in areas where the maximum safe speed is 25. And […]
Union County’s approximately 60 local candidates have only three days left to sway voters before Tuesday’s Aug. 4 party primaries. Residents will go to the polls to choose either a Democratic or Republican primary ticket and then from that determine who the nominees will be for each office from the party they choose. With close […]
Holley Muraco’s life might make a good movie, except that she has accomplished so much it might be difficult to believe. The Potts Camp native has gone from being a girl who didn’t even know how to swim to becoming an international wildlife researcher and trainer. This past week she successfully defended her thesis to […]
Don’t forget the state-legislated annual sales tax holiday that lasts from 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 31, to midnight Saturday, Aug. 1. The annual event is designed to help families save money on back-to-school and fall clothing items by not collecting the usual seven-percent retail sales tax. The holiday only applies to types of clothing and […]
The New Albany-Union County Airport was one of several receiving state grants recently. The Mississippi Transportation Commission approved the Mississippi Department of Transportation awarding grants to regional and municipal airports across the state for maintenance and improvement projects. The airport here will receive $150,400 to rehabilitate existing hangars. “Local airports are vital to the economy of […]
The congregation of Ingomar Baptist Church celebrated the groundbreaking for a new sanctuary this past Sunday with a nearly-two-hour service and ceremony. “We called it ‘BYOS’ for “Bring Your Own Shovel,” Pastor Dr. Terry Cutrer said. “That was to help symbolize that it will take the whole community to do this.” Plans call for the […]
The Tallahatchie River Players will present a youth production of “Robin Hood,” written by Tim Kelly, this weekend at the Magnolia Civic Center. The play tells the familiar story of the woodland “outlaw” and his efforts to save Maid Marian and help King Richard the Lion-Hearted take back his throne from evil Prince John. The […]
Tickets have gone on sale for one of New Albany’s best social events, the fifth annual Arts, Beats & Eats, which takes place Friday, Aug. 7. The somewhat dressy, upscale event featuring juried artists, music, food and fun has been growing in attendance each year. This year’s gathering will be from 5 p.m. to 8 […]
This column originally appeared in the Oct. 27, 2010 issue of the Gazette. You would think I would learn from my mistakes. If you thought that, you would be wrong. There I was preparing to play 18 holes of golf in the bright sunshine with our son, Joe, and I had no cap for my […]
Union County supervisors Monday signed a compromise agreement that will allow the sheriff’s department to continue to keep state prisoners as jail trusties. The agreement will cost the county more to keep each state prisoner but it also means that the county will not have to hire as many as a dozen or more regular […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Liberty resident exhibits ‘charm’ for visitors September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry