Online ticket sales will begin on sale Saturday, June 4, at 10 a.m. for New Albany’s second annual “Farm to Table Dinner,” which will take place on Thursday, June 23, on the footbridge across the Tallahatchie River in the Park Along the River in downtown. The fine-dining-inspired dinner for 80 guests will be prepared using […]
Archive | Features RSS feed for this section
Jerry and Doris Baily will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on Saturday, May 14, at Victory Life Center at 5 p.m. Everyone is invited to attend.
New Albany tourism got a boost this week from a visit by the Mississippi Queen to the Park Along the River and Tallahatchie Trails sparking speculation about the possibility of bringing riverboat gambling to the city. Publicity about the visit was not available ahead of time with local officials saying it was only possible on […]
By Dr. Linda Mitchell Good recipes are like unique individuals, they come from a particular place and time, they have a personality, an accent, and they stake a claim on the culinary tapestry of a family or community. They find lodging in an old recipe box on the kitchen counter or they tuck away under […]
Teddy Roosevelt got barely a mention. Paul Rainey fared considerably better, but it was Robert Bobo who was the premier bear hunter in Mississippi according to James T. McCafferty. McCafferty, a former New Albany resident, returned here this past Thursday to talk about his latest book, “The Bear Hunter: The Life and Times of Robert Eager […]
Most Union Countians are probably aware we have the Tallahatchie Arts Council but they may not remember that it began more than 40 years ago. A group of six held the first meeting, wanting to create an atmosphere in which artists could be encouraged to create, their work could be shown, a sense of fellowship […]
It’s difficult, if not impossible, to describe Helene Fielder’s pottery, and that’s a good thing. “She’s the most out-of-the-box person I know,” local craftsman Charles Buster said of the Marietta resident. “When I go into her booth (at a craft show) I just have to stop; I can’t take it all in.” Fielder is not […]
Jeff McManus is on a crusade against “whackers and hackers” and brought his message to the Union County Library this week. McManus, director of landscape services for the University of Mississippi campus, was guest speaker for Luncheon With Books provided those attending with some of the hints from his book, Prune Like a Pro. McManus […]
If there’s one thing everybody knows about llamas, it’s that they spit, right? Well, maybe not so much. Nathan Shaddinger has raised llamas for more than a quarter of a century and constantly has to deal with the spitting story when he shows one of his animals to groups. Finally, he went to the bank […]
Amelia Eisenhauer, and her family band, the Eisenhauer Band, will return to New Albany for two shows on Friday, Jan. 22. Anyone who has attended any festivals in New Albany over the past couple of years has likely heard the Eisenhauer Band. The band, which first played New Albany at the 2014 Riverfest has since […]
- Hurricane news May 24, 2016
- Senior Citizens Day May 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights May 27, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes May 27, 2016
- Museum Madness children’s discovery program will start June 20 May 27, 2016
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball May 29, 2016
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules May 27, 2016
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests May 27, 2016
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival May 27, 2016
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2 May 27, 2016
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
- 2DonaldBrick: Nice blog post - I am thankful for the points . Do...
- Christy White Shannon: you do an awesome job Dennis Clayton!!!!...
- Aaron: Here is the problem: It is one thing for the legi...
- Jesusismyquarterback: They would have to drag it the last 40 miles...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Bogue signs with Blue Mountain College softball
- Memorial Day to affect operating hours, service schedules
- Police continue drug fight with series of arrests
- Winners in the 2016 Mississippi Bluegrass Championships at the Down From the Hills Heritage Music festival
- Library’s annual summer reading program for children begins June 2