Time is growing short for you to help in this year’s United Way of Northeast Mississippi campaign. The United Way, which serves seven counties, including Union, has reached 80 percent of its $2.4 million goal. So far, $1,913,968 has been pledged in the 2013 campaign. It’s important that Union Countians pledge their share to the […]
Archive | Editorials RSS feed for this section
We hope you will pause a moment in your day Monday to honor all those who have served in our armed forces. It is Veterans Day. The main observance here will be handled by the American Legion Potter-Henry-Lowrey Post 72 and will be at noon at the Union County Courthouse. Veterans Day and Memorial Day […]
Downtown is being decked out in holiday wreaths and that means one of the area’s most successful events is coming up this Sunday. The New Albany Main Street Association’s annual Holiday Open House will be held from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday Between 2,000 and 3,000 people are expected to turn out to see […]
November is here, and with it comes a greater probability of severe weather. Even though we think of tornadoes in early spring, the fact is we have almost as many in November in Mississippi as any other time. We again want to suggest two things to help make sure that you are provided the latest […]
Next Tuesday we will conduct a special election in Union County for the office of county coroner/medical examiner. A low turnout is expected and that is unfortunate because recent events show how important electing a quality individual is to an office that usually operates with little fanfare and in relative obscurity. The reason we are […]
Today the Gazette starts its 39th annual Sharing at Christmas push for money to help provide holiday help for families in need in Union County. Although the Sharing at Christmas program has been sponsored by the Gazette all these years, it really is about the community, not the newspaper. It’s about all those who provide […]
Sunday afternoon was a time to celebrate community as we had the grand opening ceremonies in New Albany, Houston and Pontotoc for the Tanglefoot Trail. The more than 44-mile paved trail starting in New Albany and ending in Houston already is attracting lots of walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers. The trail, once followed […]
Visitors from several states will descend on New Albany this Saturday for the 28th annual Mississippi on Wheels Charity Car Show. Car enthusiasts, mechanics, restoration specials and just people looking for something interesting to do will converge on the area around the Union County Courthouse for the event. This year the Lions Club of New […]
For years Trick or Treat Downtown, sponsored by the New Albany Main Street Association, was a wholesome child-friendly October event that attracted hundreds of kids and their parents downtown. Scores of kids participated each year in a costume contest that the Gazette helped organize, lots of candy was given out by the association and local […]
Twelve years ago Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, decided to put together a program to demonstrate the life of early pioneers. The result was Heritage Pioneer Days, which has become one of the largest events in town for school classes and families with young children. This year’s event is coming up […]
- Dr. David Ellis, 94, dies July 25, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Arts, Beats & Eats July 30, 2014
- The single life is not for us July 30, 2014
- Work progressing on biodiesel plant August 1, 2014
- Police charge babysitter with child abuse August 1, 2014
- Officers learn how to deal with life-threatening wounds in dangerous situations August 1, 2014
- Neighbor charged with attempted burglary and assault August 1, 2014
- Getting ready for kindergarten August 1, 2014
- NA police getting tough on traffic next week as school readies August 1, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey