It doesn’t seem much like Labor Day weekend with temperatures hovering around 90 and the humidity not much below that. But even though summer doesn’t officially end until Sept. 23, for many the arrival of Labor Day is the traditional end of summer. Labor Day also signals the opening weekend of college football (although there […]
The City of New Albany held its public hearing Tuesday on the proposed 2016 budget, which drew no real comments from the public. The $6,515,837 budget is up about 2.2 percent and contains very few changes compared to the current year. Ward Two Alderman Johnny Anderson noted that they had recommended a three-percent salary increase […]
New Albany electric customers will be seeing a slight increase in their usage fees soon. Aldermen Tuesday approved a two-percent raise at their monthly meeting. Light, gas and water manager Bill Mattox said the governing board of TVA had enacted the increase for individual users and also is changing the overall rate structure where fees […]
Another unresolved zoning issue was sort of settled Tuesday at the monthly board of aldermen’s meeting – but apparently to no one’s real satisfaction. At issue was the request for a variance to the city sign ordinance by the owners of New Albany Animal Clinic. The Holly Springs owners of the clinic had purchased a […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors will hold a public hearing Oct. 5 on whether to close a section of County Road 200 that is less than a mile long. County Board Attorney Thad Mueller told supervisors that the dirt road has not been maintained in years and in not passable for any other than […]
Do hummingbirds travel in flocks? They do at Glenda Alexander’s home on Liberty Road. Alexander said she began feeding hummingbirds outside her house about five years ago and their numbers kept increasing. Now, if you sit down under her shade tree behind the house you are likely to see at least a dozen of the […]
New Albany High School and Get2College are hosting Senior Parent Night on Tuesday, Sept. 15, from 6 to 7 p.m. in the New Albany High School Auditorium. This program will provide pertinent information regarding senior dates and activities as well as post-high school opportunities for students. Each family will receive a booklet entitled T.I.P.S. (Transitions, Independence, […]
The New Albany-Union County College and Career Night will be held Tuesday, Sept. 15, from 6- 8 p.m. in the New Albany High School Career and Technical Center. Local business and industry representatives, college admissions counselors, and armed forces representatives will be available to help students gain information that will assist them in making informed […]
The Mississippi Department of Transportation was scheduled to open the new four-lane section of Hwy. 45 from Carson Road to four miles south of U.S. Highway 82 in Lowndes County Thursday, Sept. 3, at approximately 9 a.m. “The opening of this four-lane section of Hwy. 45 is a big step in increasing safety and mobility […]
Our next-door neighbors painted their house a new color this past weekend. Lane and Tracy Cavender, with the help of a friend with a paint sprayer, brightened up the house with a lighter color that gave it a fresh look. Painting the house follows a summer in which they have redone the landscaping and generally […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry