Next Thursday Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County will conduct another of its major community outreach programs. It’s the 2015 Community Health Fair, an opportunity for any person in our community to get a basic update on his or her health for little or no cost. Between 6:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. hospital personnel and volunteers will […]
New Albany has what is described as a good problem to have: too little parking downtown. It also appears to be experiencing an uncontrolled epidemic of “yard” sales, some of which are repetitive. Tuesday, city aldermen took action to try to correct both. The changes to the parking ordinance are for the downtown area, affecting […]
New Albany aldermen passed two ordinances dealing with parking and yard sale problems at their monthly meeting Tuesday but other measures did not fare as well. With Alderman-at-Large Scott Dunnam absent again and Ward Two Alderman Johnny Anderson participating by phone, the board members first tried to pass new subdivision regulations for the city. Officials […]
Although fall has barely arrived, Christmas is less than three months away and weeks before that will be the annual Tree of Love celebration. The Tree of Love is done each year by the Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County Auxiliary with help and coordination from the hospital itself as well. The project serves as a fundraiser […]
If there’s one thing Master Gardeners do, it’s garden. Now that we are past the season for most spring and summer vegetables as well as plants, Union County Master Gardeners President Pat James has turned to pumpkins. Pumpkins go with the fall season and can be used decoratively or for food. James and his wife, […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union will go on the road Friday and face the Mantachie Mustangs in an important Division 1-2A football matchup between teams with identical records. “It’s a big week for us, they’re 5-2 and we’re 5-2, both of us are 1-0 in division,” East Union Head Coach Kevin Walton said. “I think […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union wrapped up Division 1-2A play on Tuesday with 42-1 and 20-0 wins over Okolona and finished with a perfect 6-0 record. East Union retired the Lady Chieftains in order in the first and proceeded to send 34 batters to the plate in their half of the inning, scoring […]
Vance Witt is an affable, soft-spoken man who does not crave the limelight. He also is a man with a distinguished career and a strong commitment to community service. In our opinion those qualities make him an excellent choice to be joining the Northeast Mississippi Community College’s Alumni Hall of Fame. The board chairman of […]
It seemed like a simple task. My wife asked me to call the phone company and order phone service at her mother’s new apartment in New Albany. “No problem; I’ll call today. She’ll probably have service by tomorrow,” I said. Boy, was I wrong.Things didn’t go well from the very first call. A pleasant, but […]
New Albany’s Main Street program is one of the biggest successes in the state, according to the president of the Mississippi Main Street Association. Suzanne Smith made the comment at the local organization’s annual meeting and awards luncheon this past Thursday. The guest speaker, introduced by long-time Main Street supporter and former state Main Street […]
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Columbus Day holiday won’t affect most services October 7, 2015
- City school board updates policy on overnight, other field trips October 7, 2015
- Kirk defeats cancer through faith in God, family October 7, 2015
- State Main Street president says local program one of best in state October 7, 2015
- Community Health Fair October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act to restrict limit downtown parking, yard sales October 9, 2015
- Aldermen act on several items but subdivision, sign, metal siding ordinances still not settled October 9, 2015
- Hospital ‘Tree of Love’ offers opportunity to honor others and help patients October 9, 2015
- Master Gardener Pat James becomes pumpkin man October 9, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on