BY DENNIS CLAYTON East Union will go on the road Friday and face the Mantachie Mustangs in an important Division 1-2A football matchup between teams with identical records. “It’s a big week for us, they’re 5-2 and we’re 5-2, both of us are 1-0 in division,” East Union Head Coach Kevin Walton said. “I think […]
BY DENNIS CLAYTON ELLISTOWN – East Union wrapped up Division 1-2A play on Tuesday with 42-1 and 20-0 wins over Okolona and finished with a perfect 6-0 record. East Union retired the Lady Chieftains in order in the first and proceeded to send 34 batters to the plate in their half of the inning, scoring […]
Vance Witt is an affable, soft-spoken man who does not crave the limelight. He also is a man with a distinguished career and a strong commitment to community service. In our opinion those qualities make him an excellent choice to be joining the Northeast Mississippi Community College’s Alumni Hall of Fame. The board chairman of […]
It seemed like a simple task. My wife asked me to call the phone company and order phone service at her mother’s new apartment in New Albany. “No problem; I’ll call today. She’ll probably have service by tomorrow,” I said. Boy, was I wrong.Things didn’t go well from the very first call. A pleasant, but […]
New Albany’s Main Street program is one of the biggest successes in the state, according to the president of the Mississippi Main Street Association. Suzanne Smith made the comment at the local organization’s annual meeting and awards luncheon this past Thursday. The guest speaker, introduced by long-time Main Street supporter and former state Main Street […]
Terri Kirk is tough. She has worked at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County for 31 years, is Respiratory Therapy Director and has faced thousands of life-critical situations. Although she has to drive 40 miles each way to and from the hospital, she has only missed work twice in those 31 years. And yet she found herself […]
Cost savings, particularly in utilities, and careful management have led to the New Albany School District’s ending the past year with more money than expected. Director of Accounting Services Suzanne Coffey told trustees Monday that after closing the past year out this week the district maintenance fund was left with $1,839,486. That’s nearly $250,000 more […]
Schools will be out and federal government offices will close next Monday, Sept. 12, in observance of Columbus day but most Union County services will not be affected. City and county offices will be open Monday and city and county solid waste collections will proceed as usual. The New Albany Gazette office will be open […]
Evans discusses local education needs with members of congress Lance Evans, principal of New Albany High School, was honored as state secondary school principal of the year at the NASSP Principal of the Year Institute, a Washington, DC event hosted annually by the National Association of Secondary School Principals. During the Institute, Evans formally received […]
Last week students at New Albany Elementary School got new musical instruments they will use to perform with a professional symphony orchestra before the school year ends. This year for the first time New Albany elementary music students are participating in a program called Link Up, which is sponsored nationally by the Carnegie Hall organization […]
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- County will close section of CR 200 October 7, 2015
- Elementary students practice to play with symphony October 7, 2015
- New Albany High School principal honored as state principal of the year at Washington, DC institute October 7, 2015
- Columbus Day holiday won’t affect most services October 7, 2015
- Urchins travel to Mantachie for key division contest October 8, 2015
- Lady Urchins sweep and finish perfect in division October 8, 2015
- Honoring Vance Witt October 7, 2015
- Not your father’s phone company October 7, 2015
- State Main Street president says local program one of best in state October 7, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on