Opinions differ about cars. But to my father, only one mattered – his. He was a Chevy man and that was what he drove most of his life. Dad, who died in 2002, would not have considered owning a foreign car, a used car, or even a non-General Motors car for that matter. He derided […]
Archive | Columns RSS feed for this section
Everything is in its place. A small stack of paper sits neatly on one side of my desk; a legal pad is at the ready, right in the middle; and a pad of sticky notes is on the right, by the telephone. It’s very neat and organized. That’s the problem. It’s too neat and too […]
I’ve tried to climb trees (although not lately). I’ve swung on tires tied to their limbs. I’ve relaxed under their branches, sipping tea on hot summer days. One thing I’ve never done though, until now, is kill trees. Don’t get the wrong idea. Trees have always been a part of my landscape. I love trees, […]
Jenny and I got married last week. At least, that is what our son Joe told us after seeing it on the internet. He found it on Facebook. How did it get there? It turns out it was my fault, and I was pretty embarrassed. It was a quick reminder of the danger of me […]
It’s my wife’s fault that I broke my glasses. That’s what I think. Of course, Jenny doesn’t agree. (You were pretty sure she wouldn’t, weren’t you?) She says she was 475 miles away in northern Kentucky at the time. Well, she was actually. But it’s still her fault. It all started 10 days ago when […]
What did you do on Memorial Day? We stayed home. We did some house cleaning and grilled hot dogs. That’s about it. We didn’t do a whole lot the entire weekend. Jenny and I don’t have any interest in car racing, NASCAR or otherwise, so we didn’t even watch the two big races in Indianapolis […]
Now, don’t get me wrong. Jenny loves her car and she has no interest in getting a different one. She drives it back and forth to work in Oxford and it has never let her down. She’s rolled up more than 80,000 miles, and it still looks about as nice as the day she first […]
May is my dumbest month. Oh, I don’t feel too smart most months. April isn’t good, but May is the worst. By the middle of the month, I’m wondering how I ever got out of elementary school. It’s all my wife’s fault. Jenny starts fretting about how her fourth graders are going to do on […]
We’re 124 years old. No, not me personally, although some days I feel a little like it. I’m talking about the Gazette, which published its first issue in 1889. An article in that first issue predicted the Gazette would be around for a long time. What constitutes a long time is a matter of opinion, […]
Once a month or so, I leave New Albany on Saturday morning, turn on “Car Talk” on National Public Radio and head out to Tupelo. It’s sort of a ritual: I try to arrive shortly after Sam’s Club opens, scurry around and get the four or five things we need, and get to one of […]
- Thumbing to California July 23, 2014
- Improving the ER July 23, 2014
- USA swim rep visits Tallahatchie Tidal Wave July 25, 2014
- Jets shut out Bollweevils July 25, 2014
- Union County Fair Pet Show winners July 25, 2014
- County has new airport projects coming up July 30, 2014
- Museum seeks new Faulkner-inspired art for September exhibit July 30, 2014
- Nance retires from Department of Corrections July 30, 2014
- NAHS band getting ready for full season July 30, 2014
- County’s June jobless rate lowest in NE Mississippi; eighth best in state July 30, 2014
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- mathewsjw: interesting poll books provided no voters were cha...
- Sheli McClellan: Thanks for recognizing her! This was a huge accom...
- mary: thank you for your sympathy. We will miss Mom (Lou...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 1 year ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey