Opinions differ about cars. But to my father, only one mattered – his. He was a Chevy man and that was what he drove most of his life. Dad, who died in 2002, would not have considered owning a foreign car, a used car, or even a non-General Motors car for that matter. He derided […]
Archive | Columns RSS feed for this section
Everything is in its place. A small stack of paper sits neatly on one side of my desk; a legal pad is at the ready, right in the middle; and a pad of sticky notes is on the right, by the telephone. It’s very neat and organized. That’s the problem. It’s too neat and too […]
I’ve tried to climb trees (although not lately). I’ve swung on tires tied to their limbs. I’ve relaxed under their branches, sipping tea on hot summer days. One thing I’ve never done though, until now, is kill trees. Don’t get the wrong idea. Trees have always been a part of my landscape. I love trees, […]
Jenny and I got married last week. At least, that is what our son Joe told us after seeing it on the internet. He found it on Facebook. How did it get there? It turns out it was my fault, and I was pretty embarrassed. It was a quick reminder of the danger of me […]
It’s my wife’s fault that I broke my glasses. That’s what I think. Of course, Jenny doesn’t agree. (You were pretty sure she wouldn’t, weren’t you?) She says she was 475 miles away in northern Kentucky at the time. Well, she was actually. But it’s still her fault. It all started 10 days ago when […]
What did you do on Memorial Day? We stayed home. We did some house cleaning and grilled hot dogs. That’s about it. We didn’t do a whole lot the entire weekend. Jenny and I don’t have any interest in car racing, NASCAR or otherwise, so we didn’t even watch the two big races in Indianapolis […]
Now, don’t get me wrong. Jenny loves her car and she has no interest in getting a different one. She drives it back and forth to work in Oxford and it has never let her down. She’s rolled up more than 80,000 miles, and it still looks about as nice as the day she first […]
May is my dumbest month. Oh, I don’t feel too smart most months. April isn’t good, but May is the worst. By the middle of the month, I’m wondering how I ever got out of elementary school. It’s all my wife’s fault. Jenny starts fretting about how her fourth graders are going to do on […]
We’re 124 years old. No, not me personally, although some days I feel a little like it. I’m talking about the Gazette, which published its first issue in 1889. An article in that first issue predicted the Gazette would be around for a long time. What constitutes a long time is a matter of opinion, […]
Once a month or so, I leave New Albany on Saturday morning, turn on “Car Talk” on National Public Radio and head out to Tupelo. It’s sort of a ritual: I try to arrive shortly after Sam’s Club opens, scurry around and get the four or five things we need, and get to one of […]
- McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results August 20, 2014
- Hawks fall 3-1 to Corinth on Willams’ homerun hit August 19, 2014
- Political tax talk August 20, 2014
- Dramatic Finish: Defensive hold lifts Bulldogs over Aggies August 20, 2014
- Urchins open season with Houlka Wildcats August 20, 2014
- Keep “Feet” on tour August 22, 2014
- CREATE program looks for ways to improve career readiness August 22, 2014
- County’s jobless rate lowest in north half of Mississippi August 22, 2014
- New Birth Community Church to hold open house Sunday August 22, 2014
- Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney August 20, 2014
- Cecil: Will he be convinced if he loses again? I doubt i...
- Greyson McGrail: Homework Unlocked is also completely free and gear...
- Susan Jones: PLease know that lots of math teachers have put in...
- Dan Dana, PhD: I am Dan Dana, Wayne's 1964 hitchhiking partner. ...
- David Lohr: The drone would actually be a very good purchase f...
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 2 years ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 2 years ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 2 years ago
- Thanks Jay! 2 years ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 2 years ago retweeted via MzTrazey
- Cecil on McDaniel files suit against Cochran over Republican senate run-off results
- Greyson McGrail on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Susan Jones on How parents can help their children with math homework
- Dan Dana, PhD on Thumbing to California
- David Lohr on A drone in Myrtle?