The Mississippi Legislature has opted to stop meddling with graduation requirements in our schools, wisely leaving the issue with educators and the State Board of Education where it belongs. The Senate Education committee, chaired by Gray Tollison, an Oxford Republican, decided not to consider a bill that already had passed the House 119-0 that would […]
JACKSON – When the Falcon’s needed a playmaker, senior point guard Laquain Foster answered the call. Foster turned in 27 points in Ingomar’s 67-54 win over Montgomery County on Tuesday, finding runs in a game full of them to outlast the Hornets quietly creeping towards overtaking the lead. Ingomar jumped out ahead early, posting a […]
JACKSON -When the shots counted the most they fell for West Union who held on for a 57-55 win in overtime against Bogue Chitto on Wednesday. The Lady Eagles led for the duration of the 32 regulation minutes with the Bobcats managing three ties in the final seconds of play. Zariah Matthews earned the shot […]
JACKSON – Ingomar’s young Lady Falcons squad reached another milestone on Wednesday, nabbing their first win inside Mississippi Coliseum with a 81-37 final over the Sebastopol Lady Bobcats. The victory marked the thirtieth win for the 2014-2015 season while also guaranteeing the Falcons a game on March 9 in the Class 1A girls semi-finals. Sebastopol […]
Whew! What a slew of candidates we have who have qualified to run for office in the Aug. 4 primary election. A few months ago we would have predicted a fairly calm, lackluster local election season, but that all had changed by the time the filing deadline passed last Friday. Of course, the announcement by […]
It’s become sort of a monthly ritual for our family. One Saturday a month Jenny attends a training seminar for elementary math teachers in the Oxford School District, and our son Joe and I tag along. No, we don’t go to the training. Rolling out of bed in time to get to Oxford for an […]
A Union County solid-waste employee, Randy Lyons, underwent emergency surgery in Tupelo Monday afternoon as a result of being crushed between two vehicles on the job. Another Union County man now faces three felony charges as a result. Lyons is also a recently-announced candidate for District Three Supervisor. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the incident occurred […]
The qualifying period for county elections ended Friday with more of a bang than a whimper as nearly a dozen more citizens announced their candidacy the last two days. The last qualifier, Greg Elder, came in about 4:30 p.m., before the 5 p.m. deadline. Candidates declaring party affiliations only had to submit their papers and […]
Union County law enforcement officials have four persons in custody and are looking for a fifth in connection with a burglary in the Pinedale area. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the burglary occurred Tuesday when someone broke into a home and locked barn shed. “They stole a zero-turn Gravely lawnmower, two backpack leaf blowers, some tires, […]
Union County received from 2.5 to 6.5 inches of snow Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service. The amount depends on what part of the county was involved with the heaviest amount in the extreme southeast corner of the county and only a couple of inches for the extreme northwest part. The snow came quickly […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry