By Lloyd Gray/NEMS Daily Journal The challenges Tupelo faces at this point in its history aren’t unique. In fact, they’re the norm for a city once it reaches a certain size and stage in its growth and development. Core neighborhoods age. Middle-class homeowners move out and are replaced by lower-income renters. Blighted properties multiply. Crime […]
A study of Mississippi media usage just completed by American Opinion Research for the Mississippi Press Association found seven of every 10 Mississippi adults read a newspaper, either in print or online. That’s pretty consistent with national research and reflects the Sun Herald’s own documented south Mississippi audience, which has never been larger. Moreover, half […]
Winners of the Robby Hale “Make a Difference” memorial scholarship are Blake Farrar, Olivia Dunnam, Reagan Wright, Brady Russell and Jodie McMillen. Each recipient is awarded a $1,000 scholarship payable to a Mississippi college or University based on making a difference in his/her school, home, church, and community through the demonstration of unselfish acts, traits […]
There are names in the Old Testament that fit nicely under the category: Humdingers! Jehoshaphat is one of them, but he’s one of my favorite characters, and his name has nothing to do with it. It’s his wisdom as a leader. My dad would call it plain, common sense. This main man of Judah was […]
Shirley Joan Harper, 70, died Monday, June 17, 2013, at Graceland Care Center in New Albany. She was born Nov. 16, 1942, in Poinsett City, Ark., to Benny Eli Harper and Gertrude Seaburn Harper. She was a retired truck driver for FedEx. She was a Pentecostal. Services were at 4 p.m. Wednesday, June 19, at […]
Martha Marie Bell Hatcher Vanderford, 88, of Burnsville, passed away Sunday, June 16, 2013, at her home. She was born Dec. 7, 1924, to John and Jenny Hatcher. She was a homemaker and a member of Rowland Mills Baptist Church. Services were at 2 p.m. Wednesday, June 19, at Rowland Mills Baptist Church with Bro. […]
Evie Vimoia LaDell Byers Harris, 43, died Sunday, June 16, 2013, at her residence. She was born Oct. 24, 1969, in Union County to Beford Junior Byers and Iva Nell Mardis. She attended New Haven School, where her late grandfather, George Beford Byers, worked as the school’s janitor. She enjoyed being around her grandchild, Carissa, […]
Carolyn Starks, 60, of Ripley, died Thursday, June 13, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center Baldwyn Nursing Facility. She was born Aug. 26, 1952, to Robert Chills and Juanita Carroll Chills, in Tippah County. Services were at 2 p.m. Wednesday, June 19, at Flatwood Grove Church of The Living God at Blue Mountain. Burial was […]
Margaret Tackitt Reeves, 77, of the Wren Community, died Friday, June 14, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center. She was born Feb. 10, 1936, in the Troy Community of Pontotoc Co., to William Leslie and Frances Leona Keith Tackitt. After marrying her husband of 63 years on July 8, 1950, they made their home in […]
Harold Phillips, 73, of Belden, died Thursday, June 13, 2013. A Shannon native, he was born July 18, 1939, to Vernon Washington and Bessie Freeman Phillips. He was a graduate of Shannon High School. After 33 years of service, he retired from Day-Brite Lighting. He, along with his wife, was a resident of Belden since […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Liberty resident exhibits ‘charm’ for visitors September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry