What began Thursday as a meeting of the city parking committee ended up as the organizational meeting of the New Albany Historic Preservation Committee. Aldermen had tentatively approved using parking committee members as historic preservation committee members at their March meeting with almost no discussion. Alderman-at-Large Scott Dunnam brought the matter up, and was a […]
Mississippi appears on the verge of repealing an ill-advised law that prohibited local public school districts from starting the school year before the third Monday in August. The law, passed in 2012, would have taken effect during the coming school year and would have delayed the start of school until Aug. 18. Schools in northeast […]
I have tried to remember, but I can’t place who told me to do it. I just remember that I was supposed to make lots of copies of the newspaper because someone wanted them. It was an odd request really. Make a bunch of copies of the May 29, 1978, edition of the Greenville, S.C., […]
We predict it is going to take more than a large culvert and a sidewalk to get people to park in the city lot near the Union County Library, but it’s a start. And it’s a start we support. The City of New Albany, based on a recommendation of its downtown parking committee, is going […]
Anyone driving along Carter Avenue by the library parking lot can hardly miss the large silver culvert sitting on the ditch bank beside the lot. The culvert is destined to go in the creek beside Carter Avenue with the area above it being covered. This is part of the plan from the city’s parking committee […]
New Albany aldermen, at their regular meeting Tuesday, were scheduled to hear two proposals with quotes to demolish properties condemned at previous meetings but that did not happen. Instead, in one case, aldermen took a step back for legal reasons. In the second, the owners who had purchased the property only days before its demolition […]
The Town of Blue Springs is moving ahead with plans for an interlocal agreement with Sherman to aid each other in law enforcement. In response to a request from Blue Springs Police Officer Anthony Anderson for the option to use the Sherman Police Department for backup as needed, the Blue Springs Board of Aldermen asked […]
Light, gas and water manager Bill Mattox has been telling aldermen about the need for new boom bucket trucks for some time and now that need is being met. He reported that to the city board during their regular meeting Tuesday. First, he told them about a bid opening for a new bucket truck with […]
Approximately 650 people showed up at the premiere of the Sam Mosley documentary, “Beyond The Tracks” and the following concert Thursday night at the New Albany High School Auditorium. New Albany High School student Rachel Lenoir welcomed the audience and said, “I hope you enjoy this documentary as much as we enjoyed making it.” New […]
On Monday, the Union County Board of Supervisors approved a Development Infrastructure Grant agreement for a new access road to Newport Furniture in the former Stratford Futorian plant. The road will connect Industrial Drive, off North Glenfield Road, to the Newport lot, running approximately parallel to the railroad. Its purpose is also to bypass Rolling […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry