Incumbent Republican Senator Thad Cochran narrowly won the nomination toward a seventh term Tuesday, coming back after being outvoted by Tea Party challenger Chris McDaniel in the June 3 party primary. Preliminary totals Tuesday had Cochran with 50.8 percent of the vote to McDaniel’s 49.2 percent – a difference of only about 6,400 votes statewide. […]
Undergraduate students who earn a semester GPA of 3.50-3.74 will be listed on the Dean’s Honor Roll; those who earn a semester GPA of 3.75-4.00 will be listed on the Chancellor’s Honor Roll. To be eligible for honor roll designation, a student must have completed at least 12 graded hours for the semester and may […]
New Albany Mayor Tim Kent was reported recuperating at home and possibly will be allowed to return to work next week. The monthly meeting of the board of aldermen will be Tuesday. Kent was airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center Tuesday night, June 17, where he underwent emergency surgery following a freak accident. He was […]
By Angie Barmer Now that July is here, there is a whole month of activities for kids to be involved in around town. From 8:30 a.m. to noon, July 7-11,children ages 6-12 will be participating in Healthy Kids Camp at the Baptist HealthPlex. Children will learn about swimming, nutrition, first aid, fire safety, and there […]
Union County’s unemployment rate was up one percentage point from April to May, but still managed to rank second-lowest in Northeast Mississippi and third statewide. According to figures from the Mississippi Employment Security Commission, Union County had 6.5 percent of its workforce without Jobs in May compared to 5.5 percent the previous month. The local […]
The Republican primary is finally over, and for many Mississippians it brings a sense of relief. Relief from the bitter and often unpleasant political commercials that inundated our airwaves, mostly paid for by groups from who knows where with innocuous names, but not innocuous agendas. But also, for many of us, relief in knowing that […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors is once again having to decide the question of how to handle mentally ill residents. They learned Monday that a system that they thought has been working well for nearly three years may be discontinued due to lack of sufficient funding. For many years, when someone believed another to […]
Most businesses, including the New Albany Gazette, and all governmental offices will close Friday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day. Because the holiday is on a Friday, the publication schedule for the Gazette will change as well. For the Wednesday, July 2, issue, the ad deadline will be 5 p.m. Thursday, June 26 and […]
The second week of the June term of circuit court ended Friday with about two dozen cases being handled in addition to those reported this past week. Many of the cases came out of indictments returned by the Union County grand jury in April, a large percentage of which were drug-related. Judge John Gregory heard […]
The community will have a freedom celebration this year, but it will be nearly a week before Independence Day so as not to cause conflict with families’ other activities. Several area churches are getting together to present the event this Sunday, June 29, at the Union County Courthouse. A picnic will start the program at […]
- Lady Eagles fly past Lady Rebels September 28, 2015
- Gooch and Thompson power Lady Falcons to win October 1, 2015
- Supervisors get update on debts owed to county October 2, 2015
- Witt named to NEMCC Hall of Fame October 2, 2015
- Low unemployment rate continues for county October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins drop Mooreville from unbeaten ranks October 3, 2015
- Saturday noon is voter registration deadline October 2, 2015
- Lady Urchins secure division title with win over Baldwyn October 2, 2015
- Fast start gives Urchins win in division opener October 2, 2015
- Accolade for Baptist October 2, 2015
- guest: "Being vaccinated does not guarantee you will not...
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Flu shots expected to be more effective this year but adults may need other vaccinations as well on
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies on
- Election commission disqualifies Browning from education superintendent’s race on
- New Albany High on way to becoming state’s first all-iPad school on
- NAHS students get to pick up iPads next week on