On Monday, the Union County Board of Supervisors approved a Development Infrastructure Grant agreement for a new access road to Newport Furniture in the former Stratford Futorian plant. The road will connect Industrial Drive, off North Glenfield Road, to the Newport lot, running approximately parallel to the railroad. Its purpose is also to bypass Rolling […]
New changes will take place right after Spring Break at New Albany Elementary School, West Union Attendance Center, and the Union County School Administration office. Last month, Windy Faulkner, current principal at NAES, accepted the position as assistant school superintendent with the Union County School District. Her start date was slated to begin July 1. […]
Although local judicial races remain unchanged with mostly incumbents who are unopposed, the U.S. senate race became more complicated Friday. Long-time Republican incumbent Thad Cochran had said he would seek re-election and long before that, tea party candidate Chris McDaniel, Republican state senator and attorney, had begun his own campaign for the office. Shortly before […]
In our community, we have what many communities only dream about – an active community theater group with a nice theater available to present its work. The Tallahatchie River Players, our community theater group, is approaching its 10h anniversary, a reason for much community pride. The last play in its current season, the comedy “Arsenic […]
We all have our knots on the family tree, I suppose. But some family trees have more knots than others, and I always have thought mine was downright gnarly. In fact, my sister Donna and I sometimes swap stories about who we would consider “normal” among the many cousins from our childhood, growing up on […]
The documentary, “Beyond the Tracks,” put together by New Albany High School students, is a fitting tribute to a New Albany legend, Sam Mosley. More than 650 people turned out in the school auditorium last Thursday to see the video documentary and hear a concert by the Mosley and Johnson Band, along with New Albany […]
Nationwide and globally recognized scrap metal recycling and waste handling company Green Metals, Inc. opened up a new facility located at 1034 Corolla Lane in Blue Springs. Green Metals, Inc. is a subsidiary of Toyota Tsusho and handles recycling for Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, Inc. and TMMMS Tier One and Tier Two suppliers. President and […]
The Mississippi House of Representatives has again failed to increase funding for public education to bring the funding level into compliance with state law. The House voted 66-53, mostly along political party lines, to approve a $2.1 billion budget for kindergarten through 12th grade, which is $265 million short of the funding required under the […]
When I was growing up, the ritual at our house was the same most nights. My sister and I would do our homework before supper, then the family would move to the living room to watch TV. At 10 o’clock, my mother would wake up my father, who usually had drifted off in his recliner, […]
The recent incident involving the statue of James Meredith at the University of Mississippi has again cast the university and our state in a negative national light. It is unfortunate that the Feb. 16 incident, in which a noose was placed around the statue’s neck and the statue draped by a defunct Georgia flag dominated […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Families of Union Countians killed in service to participate in Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ September 2, 2015
- Number of unemployed Union Countians back down slightly September 2, 2015
- Labor Day holiday to affect business, garbage collection schedules September 2, 2015
- Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ August 28, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry