The focus of this month’s meeting of the New Albany Board of Aldermen shifted from sub-standard housing problems to growing pains because of a specific type of public event: runs. While condemnation processes are going on concerning several properties around town, some have been resolved and other are not due for action until the June […]
Two events this week reminded us of the good work that the folks at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County do in outreach programs in our community. On Monday the hospital conducted its annual Baby Fair, with lots of information, vendors, gifts and refreshments in the hospital lobby. Parents and prospective parents could find out just about […]
Five years ago tomorrow, I arrived in New Albany to help out at the Gazette while a search was conducted for a new publisher. My job description at the time was “roving publisher,” meaning I was to go where I was needed to fill in when a vacancy occurred in the company, which owned more […]
The importance of tourism – and attracting the kinds of tourists who stay awhile and spend money in the local economy – was the focus last week of a talk at the annual meeting of the Union County Historical Society. Sarah McCullough, who manages cultural heritage development for the state tourism division, stressed the need […]
The Toyota executive who spoke at the annual meeting of the Union County Development Association delivered some sobering news. Jackie Hogan, human resources general manager at the Toyota plant in Blue Springs, said the company has no plans to expand its plant at the current time. Rumors have persisted since the plant opened that the […]
The violent storms and tornadoes that swept across much of our state Monday serve as a reminder that we always need to be prepared for whatever develops with the weather. It was a miracle that lives were not lost in Tupelo as the tornado crossed McCullough Boulevard and Gloster Street, devastating houses, churches, hotels and […]
My phone rang Saturday as we were leaving for the Memphis airport. Our son Joe was heading to North Carolina to visit his father before the summer term at Ole Miss starts next month. “Why would Jenny’s 84-year-old mother be calling me?” I wondered, as I looked at the caller ID. Only about an hour […]
The selection of Mary Margarett King as the Mississippi Teacher of the Year is an honor for her, for her students, for New Albany Schools and for our community. King, who teaches Advanced Placement English and a dual enrollment composition course for seniors at New Albany High School, was honored with a reception Wednesday in […]
Thursday, April 24 Baseball West Union at TCPS, 4:30 p.m. HW Byers at East Union, 5:30 p.m. Hamilton at Ingomar, 6:00 p.m. Kosciusko at New Albany, 7:00 p.m. Fast Pitch Softball Houston at New Albany, 5:30 p.m. Hamilton at Ingomar, 5:30 p.m. Myrtle at Vardaman, 6:00 p.m. Friday, April 25 Baseball Ingomar at Hamilton, 6:00 […]
Stopping into The Seamstress to pick up some pants I was having altered (no, I wasn’t having the waist let out), I couldn’t help but think about how much busier downtown has become over the past five years. First, I couldn’t find a place to park on Bankhead, so I went around the block to […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs felled by second half against Itawamba August 29, 2015
- New four-lane section of Hwy. 45 open September 4, 2015
- College and career night to be held at career and tech center September 4, 2015
- NAHS to hold Senior Parent Night September 4, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry