By Dennis Seid Daily Journal NEW ALBANY – The closing of Newport Furniture could be the end of a 65-year-old furniture manufacturing legacy. Last week, Newport filed for Chapter 7 liquidation, an unsurprising move given its Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection filing a few days earlier. Production at the plant had all but ceased in recent […]
With some hope that the economy is improving and anticipating the benefits of Tanglefoot Trail, now is a time that some are thinking about starting a new business or upgrading an existing business. What many may not know is that free, practical, confidential help is available through the Mississippi Small Business Development Center. Serving the […]
The state’s fifth Sales Tax Holiday will take place during a 48-hour time period beginning 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 26, and ending at midnight Saturday, July 27. The popular “back to school” event is worth seven percent in savings to consumers as result of waiving the sales tax on specific items. The items exempt from […]
The Toyota Educational Endowment Fund Committee of the CREATE Foundation announced Monday the availability of $1 million of grant money for schools in Lee, Pontotoc and Union Counties. Toyota Mississippi Vice President Doug Formby, a member of CREATE’s Toyota Education Endowment Fund Advisory Committee, made the announcement in New Albany. “The purpose of the grant […]
By Donica Phifer Thirty-six girls lined up at 9 a.m. Monday for a little bit of basketball. The athletes, ranging from age seven to 14, have signed up for a week-long camp at with New Albany girls basketball head coach John Stroud and assistant Anna Powell. “We are really just working on the fundamentals of […]
Everything is in its place. A small stack of paper sits neatly on one side of my desk; a legal pad is at the ready, right in the middle; and a pad of sticky notes is on the right, by the telephone. It’s very neat and organized. That’s the problem. It’s too neat and too […]
Monday’s announcement that $1 million will be flowing from the education endowment fund created by Toyota to school districts in Union, Lee and Pontotoc counties is welcome news. Doug Formby, Toyota Mississippi vice president and a member of the educational endowment fund’s advisory committee, made the announcement at the Magnolia Civic Center. It is the […]
A tentative grand opening date of Aug. 17 has been set for the Tanglefoot Trail, the nearly 45-mile long walking and bike trail that begins in New Albany and ends in Houston. The 10-foot wide asphalt trail follows the old GM&O rail corridor and begins in New Albany at Bankhead Street. After eight years in […]
I’ve tried to climb trees (although not lately). I’ve swung on tires tied to their limbs. I’ve relaxed under their branches, sipping tea on hot summer days. One thing I’ve never done though, until now, is kill trees. Don’t get the wrong idea. Trees have always been a part of my landscape. I love trees, […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs felled by second half against Itawamba August 29, 2015
- New four-lane section of Hwy. 45 open September 4, 2015
- College and career night to be held at career and tech center September 4, 2015
- NAHS to hold Senior Parent Night September 4, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Ground game leads Bulldogs to win over Pontotoc September 5, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry