Earl Gene Dean, 59, of Tupelo, died Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013, at his home in Tupelo. He was born May 6, 1954, in Union County to Verlean Ragland and James Pratt Dean. He worked at Tecumseh Manufacturing in Verona for many years. He was very active with “Feed the Children” and did volunteer work at […]
Lou Staggs, 81, died Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center-New Albany. She was born May 24, 1932, to Lee Beasley and Odie Box. She was a Baptist and a homemaker. Services were 2 p.m. Friday, Aug. 9, at Holly Springs Funeral Home. Burial was at McKay Cemetery in Hickory Flat. Survivors include […]
Earl Vanzile Sr., 81, died Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2013, at the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. He was born Sept. 24, 1931, in Butler, N.J., to Norman and Gussie Miller Vanzile. He was a stone and brick mason by profession. He served his country in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War. Visitation […]
By Dr. Linda Mitchell All the hard work Dean put in a few months ago is now bearing fruit… or veggies as the case may be. We enjoyed our first home-grown tomatoes and peppers this week and the crop looks to be bountiful. The problem is how to preserve it so we can continue to […]
School savings By Jill Cataldo CTW Features Back-to-school time is upon us once again. Each year, readers ask for my best back-to-school savings tips, and each year I’m more than happy to provide them. Here are a few of my favorites: School Supplies: Stagger your purchases and buy only loss leaders. Each week, look at […]
By Martha Swindle Tara Hampton, Sherman’s Court Clerk and Deputy Clerk, attended the Mississippi Municipal Court Clerks Association summer convention in Biloxi recently. She attended classes and networking events with other clerks and talked with probation officers and other law enforcement at various exhibits. Congratulations to Alderman Wayne Bullock for being appointed as a member […]
By Lou McQuary Christer Hargrove, formerly of Myrtle and a 1969 graduate of New Albany High School, left Las Vegas on July 23 with his wife, Theresa, and their four children – Hudson 14, Samuel 12, Mary-Morgan 9 and Melody 9 – and drove through Utah, Colorado and Kansas to a family reunion of Theresa’s […]
By Martha Hardy Weather is all in the news these days in diverse places, with floods world -wide and just last week there was some flooding and people being evacuated in Tupelo. My son Austin and I got caught in a severe thunderstorm in Tupelo. It was raining so hard I could not see to […]
The long awaited, much anticipated time of the year is at hand. We begin fall sports in our high schools afresh and anew this weekend. Actually, East Union got us started last weekend, although they were only allowed two and a half innings of play in softball due to the weather. They did lead Tupelo […]
A man wanted in connection with the investigation of narcotics sales and a cockfighting ring is in custody. Union County Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said Oscar Rodriguez, 26, was arrested by U.S. Marshals in Elkhart, Ind. Monday afternoon. The sheriff’s department has been searching for Rodriguez, who assaulted a law enforcement officer and escaped from a […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry