Now that the Tanglefoot Trail is fully, and successfully, in use and has been designated a part of the National Recreational Trails system, area history and tourism officials are moving to their next project: more recognition for Hernando DeSoto. Many local residents may be aware that the Spanish explorer passed through the New Albany area […]
Biscuits & Jam Farmers’ Market and The Art of Dixie will host “2nd Saturdays: Folk Art on the River” for the third year in downtown New Albany along the Tallahatchie River. This year’s second Saturday markets will be on June 13, July 11 and Aug. 8. Hours for 2nd Saturdays will be 7:30 a.m. to […]
New Albany police are working on a case that may involve a national identity theft ring. Chief Chris Robertson said local involvement began about 1 p.m. this past Thursday when police received a call from Lowe’s Home Improvement saying someone was attempting to use a stolen credit card. “At the same time, a uniformed MHP […]
Members of American Legion Potter-Henry-Lowry Post 72 chose new officers for the coming year at their June meeting Tuesday. “The choosing of officers for Post 72 is one of the most important functions of the executive committee,” Adjutant Mike Bennett said. “It means the choosing of leaders upon whose faithful service the success of our […]
The New Albany Main Street Association will sponsor Live @ Noon on the Tanglefoot Trail Plaza Saturday, June 20. The event, from noon to 2 p.m., will feature music by Bonfire Orchestra, appetizers from local restaurants and special discounts with local retailers. Visitors may also register for door prizes. For more information call Vickie Duke […]
Mayor Tim Kent signs a proclamation Tuesday designating this as National Garden Club Week. The event, June 17-13, is to recognize the efforts of organized clubs in adding beauty and nutrition, helping preserve the native spirit of work and promoting a healthy lifestyle generally. With the mayor are, from left, New Albany Garden Club President […]
The American Legion Potter-Henry-Lowrey, Post 72 Scholarship Committee Chairman, Mike Bennett, awarded the annual Miller/Boyte Scholarship to Jonathan Stacy during the May 11 New Albany High School Awards Program. The award in the amount of $1,500 is in recognition of Jonathan’s exemplary character and citizenship. Jonathan is the son of James and Donna Stacy. While […]
The board of directors of the Union County Historical Society voted Monday to move ahead with expansion plans, accepting the low bid of $1,086,000 by Ganger Property Management of New Albany. A ground-breaking ceremony has tentatively been set for 10 a.m. Thursday, July 2 at the museum. The former residence behind the museum will have […]
On June 4, U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell and National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis designated the Tanglefoot Trail and nine other local and state trails as national recreation trails, adding more than 150 miles to the National Trails System. “By designating these exceptional trails as part of the National Trails System, […]
Union County supervisors voted Monday to replace an old timber bridge on County Road 147 in the Tallahatchie River feeder bottom Monday. In a somewhat rare instance, the low bid came in about $25,000 under the estimate provided by the State Aid Road Department. Accepted as low bidder was N. L. Carson Construction Co. of […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry