“Down From the Hills” music festival began in 2003, the brainchild of Union County Heritage Museum Director Jill Smith as a way to help preserve the Scots and Irish music that is a part of the community’s cultural heritage. Its first year saw some invited performers but there was also the suggestion of simply having […]
A Senatobia man remains jailed in Union County after a brief high-speed chase and manhunt Friday night. Charged with three felonies, felony fleeing, felony shoplifting and felony possession of cocaine, is James D. Bush, 44, of 535 Country Club Rd., Senatobia. Police investigators Bing Wildman and Jeff Chism said Bush is accused of pushing a […]
By Stephanie Rebman and Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – A Myrtle man died in a Chickasaw County crash Friday afternoon south of Okolona. According to Mississippi Highway Patrol’s Criss Turnipseed, the fatal crash happened about 3:30 p.m. on Mississippi Highway 245 about half a mile north of U.S. Highway 45 […]
The deadline to qualify to run in the May 12 special election to fill the First Congressional Seat passed Friday afternoon with one potential candidate dropping out and one being added at the last minute. Columbus businessman Danny Bedwell did not get the 1,000 petition signatures needed to qualify, blaming the lack on himself. The […]
Election season is here again and with that comes campaign signs. Given the number of candidates seeking local offices this year, we likely will be seeing a lot of signs. As a result, city, county and state officials are reminding candidates to be aware of where they can legally place signs and where they can’t. […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors Monday approved a proclamation that would designate our county as a “Purple Heart County.” The proclamation was a request from the Military Order of the Purple Heart as part of a plan to make the entire state a Purple Heart State and honor veterans who have been wounded and […]
The election-year hoopla by Mississippi elected officials about trying to reduce or even eliminate the state income tax has quietly subsided. Gov. Phil Bryant, Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and House Speaker Philip Gunn all trumpeted income tax relief, but in the end the House and Senate could not agree on a plan. Some have speculated […]
Union Countians may see near-freezing temperatures this weekend but warm weather should be here to stay soon and organizers have already started working on this year’s Biscuits and Jam Farmers’ Market. Master Gardeners Pat and Lisa James are again overseeing the event with Mary Jennifer Russell coordinating crafts and food vendors. “Everything is pretty much […]
- County still trying to find solution to likely loss of jail trusties June 24, 2015
- Museum Madness registration underway July 1, 2015
- Groundbreaking for museum expansion will be Thursday July 1, 2015
- Man faces series of auto burglary, theft charges July 1, 2015
- Holiday weekend schedule changes include rare Saturday circuit clerk opening July 1, 2015
- Spring cleaning? Well, sort of July 1, 2015
- Honoring our nation July 1, 2015
- City school board adopts no-tax-increase budget, makes money-saving deals July 1, 2015
- Supervisors discuss funding Tupelo women’s shelter, industrial tax exemptions July 1, 2015
- Circuit clerk’s office to be open for voting Saturday despite holiday July 1, 2015
- Edwin Montenegro: Yeah welcome to south American toyota. We love you...
- Jackie Roland: Does anyone know if they are planning to put natur...
- Ron Smith: It is crazy how many parts there are to a garage d...
- whoknows: Correction. They're on track to become the first ...
- whoknows: Should get a beverage supply company to set up a b...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry