The amount of money distributed this year by the United Way of Northeast Mississippi to agencies that serve Union County was a pleasant surprise. The United Way distributed $90,704 to 27 agencies, which is 50 percent more than the $60,525 last year. Last year was a low point in recent memory; the year before $77,405 […]
Our son Joe is shopping for a watch. Yes, he still wears one, even though he’s part of the generation that has mostly forsaken watches in favor of just keeping a smart phone in one hand much of the time. But he keeps his cell phone in his front pants or shorts pocket, sort of […]
Anne Stephens was named 2015 UCDA Citizen of the Year at the association’s annual membership banquet Monday night. This is the second year for the award, determined from a list of nominees by Union County Development Association members and voted on secretly. “The vote was overwhelming,” Dr. Tommy Barkley, board member and award presenter, said. […]
Workers removed the handrails on the former railroad bridge along Tanglefoot Trail and over Main Street Monday in preparation for removal of the old bridge. The middle white circle in the foreground shows where the north end of the new 120-foot bridge will rest; the south end will be near where the workman is […]
The UNITE Foundation, which helps fund community improvement projects, presented grants totaling more than $20,000 to 16 local organizations Thursday. UNITE, which stands for Union County-New Albany Initiative to Excel, was founded and operates as a subsidiary of the CREATE Foundation, which manages endowment funds for the organization. CREATE offered a challenge grant that […]
Union County’s unemployment rate for March continued its downward trend, dropping from 5.5 percent in February to the current 4.9 percent. As was the case for February, the county maintains the eighth-lowest jobless rate in the state. Union County also remains among the three lowest in the north half of the state. DeSoto County, near […]
We applaud the selection by the college’s Board of Trustees of Ricky G. Ford of Booneville to take over as president of Northeast Mississippi Community College in July. Ford, currently executive vice-president of the school, has spent most of his career to this point at Northeast, serving as a coach, admissions counselor, athletic director and […]
Robert Khayat has gone from being a bare-foot boy in Moss Point to Yale University and then back to Ole Miss with a successful football career along the way. Most people, however, think of him as being a retired popular and successful chancellor at the University of Mississippi. Khayat was the guest speaker at the […]
“It’s the people who make New Albany strong,” Union County Development Association Executive Director Phil Nanney said Thursday. And Nanney believes that the community can be even stronger through the sharing of ideas and concerns. That is one of the main purposes of the Business 2 Business roundtable held this past week by the UCDA. […]
As anyone who has driven by the library parking lot probably knows, the two sections of the new Tanglefoot Trail bridge that will go over Main Street were assembled this week, giving it its 120-foot length. Next comes pouring of concrete supports for the bridge along with removal of the decades-old railroad bridge, both of […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Close the park alley August 26, 2015
- Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs felled by second half against Itawamba August 29, 2015
- ‘Second Amendment’ tax holiday begins Friday September 2, 2015
- Best-selling author Julie Cantrell to speak at retired educators’ meeting September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry