By Lena Mitchell/NEMS Daily Journal Mississippi’s fastest growing sport doesn’t involve running or tackling or a ball. Whether interest begins with 4-H programs or the movie “The Hunger Games,” students are asking for archery in schools and trying out for the accuracy-driven sport. With the growing popularity comes growing talent, and three Northeast Mississippi schools […]
Jimmie Dean Williams, 75, of Belden, died Sunday, June 9, 2013, at Tupelo Nursing and Rehab. He was born in Pontotoc County on Oct. 14, 1937, to Oscar Odis and Carrie Belle Williams. He was a Baptist and a retired produce deliveryman. He was a great dad and a good man. Services were at 1 […]
Mary Evelyn Denley, 76, of Thaxton, formerly of Greenville, died Sunday, June 9, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. She was born Aug. 9, 1936, to Thurman and Lottie Jenkins. She was a member of Hurricane Baptist Church. She enjoyed sewing, reading, cooking and traveling. Services were at 10 a.m. Tuesday,, June 11, […]
Lee Otis Allen, 97, died Friday, June 7, 2013, at Union County Health and Rehab in New Albany. He was born Dec. 9, 1916, in Cherry Valle, Ark. He was a retired carpenter. He was a member of West Ingomar Church of the Lord Jesus Christ and enjoyed gospel music. Services were at 3 p.m. […]
Martin “Marty” Lynn Thomas, 41, of Tupelo, died unexpectedly Wednesday, June 5, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center. He was born Feb. 1, 1972, in Union County to Rickey Joe Thomas and Wanda Kay Hamblin Rollins. He was a 1990 graduate of East Union High School and continued to further his education at Northeast Community […]
Martha Louise Strange Buchanan, 64, of Fulton, passed away Wednesday, June 5, 2013, at The Cedars in Tupelo. She was born March 13, 1949, to Noonan Carlile and Elizabeth Ida Lesley Strange in Mantachie. She was a member of Patterson Chapel Church of God. She enjoyed gospel singing, spending time with her family, and loved […]
Edna Sloan Snyder, 90, died Wednesday, June 5, 2013, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County in New Albany surrounded by her loving family. She was born Sept. 20, 1922, in Union County to the late John Thomas Sloan and Hattie T. Chandler Sloan. She was retired after 25 years of service as a dorm proctor at […]
Jimmy Dean Mauney, 73, of Blue Mountain, died Tuesday, June 4, 2013, at his home in Blue Mountain. He was born June 24, 1939, to Manuel Earl and Mary Frances Heavener Mauney. He was a member of Ripley Assembly of Christ. He was plant manager for Mississippi Chemical Corp. He loved his lawnmowers, John Deere […]
Morris Oliver Jarvis, 72, of Tupelo, passed away June 3, 2013, at the Sanctuary Hospice House. He was born in New Albany to Mary Lou and Robert Lafayette Jarvis on Nov. 20, 1940. He graduated from Center High School in Union County in 1959. He was a member of the Harrisburg Baptist Church for 39 […]
James Allen Brownlee, 52, of Dresden, Tenn., died Saturday, June 1, 2013, at his home in Dresden, Tenn. He was born March 25, 1961, in New Albany to Ray and Marjorie Brownlee. A 1980 graduate of Myrtle High School, he was a 1984 graduate of Mississippi State University, where he was a member of Farm […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Families of Union Countians killed in service to participate in Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ September 2, 2015
- Number of unemployed Union Countians back down slightly September 2, 2015
- Labor Day holiday to affect business, garbage collection schedules September 2, 2015
- Patriot Day program planned for Sept. 11 at Cine’ August 28, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Hoping to get a deal on some land September 2, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry