By Martha Swindle Sherman Alderman Wayne Bullock and his wife Diane, Alderman Dianne Jolly, and Alderman Martha Swindle attended the Pontotoc County Chamber of Commerce and Main Street Association’s annual awards banquet Tuesday evening, June 18, at the FBC fellowship hall. Sherman has two residents – Flo Rogers and Dianne Jolly – that are members […]
By Lou McQuary On Friday, June 14, Ginger, Stephen, and Wesley Harrell; Emily and Julie Canoy; Shirley and James Shirley; Susan, Ben, and Kellie McClelland; Angela, Jimmy, Jacob, Savannah, and CJ Shirley; and Brandi, Kevin, Jon Collier, and Reed Cooper enjoyed a vacation at the Caribe Resort in Orange Beach. It was a beautiful resort […]
By Susan Hooker, 419-5842 It’s magnolia time in Mississippi. Also the fragrance of the gardenias adds to the mixture on a breezy, summer day. Local produce stands are advertising squash, tomatoes, and strawberries. Plums, blackberries, and blueberries are also being shared by neighbors. All of the rain this past spring has the farming in Mud […]
Mississippi State’s magical run toward a coveted national championship ended Tuesday night in an 8-0 loss to UCLA. In short, State just couldn’t execute the way they had all through the regional, super regional, and College World Series. By the way, UCLA did execute and used the field, wind, and every opportunity to their advantage […]
It’s my wife’s fault that I broke my glasses. That’s what I think. Of course, Jenny doesn’t agree. (You were pretty sure she wouldn’t, weren’t you?) She says she was 475 miles away in northern Kentucky at the time. Well, she was actually. But it’s still her fault. It all started 10 days ago when […]
Mississippi’s standing has improved for the first time in 24 years on the national Kids Count survey that measures the well-being of children and families. But before you start back-slapping and high-fiving, we note that the state has moved to 49th, from 50th, in the annual compilation of statistics by the Annie E. Casey Foundation. […]
by Eric Olson/The Associated Press OMAHA, Neb. — A Southeastern Conference team is heading to the College World Series finals for the sixth straight year. For the first time, it’s Mississippi State. Hunter Renfroe hit a three-run homer off the back wall of the left-field bullpen, and Kendall Graveman and two relievers held the Beavers […]
Ripley High School has chosen Cliff Ormon to be their next girls basketball coach. Ripley principal Jeff Palmer confirmed the hiring Thursday afternoon. The move must be approved by the South Tippah School Board. Ormon returns to Tippah County where he coached the Pine Grove Lady Panthers for eight seasons (2004-12) before spending the last […]
Although tornadoes can strike any time of the year, the “official” severe storm season has begun. Conventional wisdom has been to get in a shelter if possible when a tornado warning occurs, and if this is not possible, get in an interior room or closet. As the recent rash of severe tornadoes in the Midwest […]
We occasionally experience interruptions of electric power and other utility services, often as a result of bad weather. That’s something we have little control over. But other types of widespread service interruptions often could be avoided with a simple phone call. “When you dig – even for simply planting a tree or digging a hole […]
- Pre-K students at elementary school learn about butterflies September 2, 2015
- Mississippians will vote on educational funding by state Nov. 3 September 2, 2015
- Retail sales, utility fees main sources of city’s income September 2, 2015
- Fixing our streets September 2, 2015
- Sidestepping a honey-do list September 2, 2015
- Honoring all who labor September 4, 2015
- City budget hearing met with late funding requests September 4, 2015
- TVA increasing electricity rates about two percent September 4, 2015
- Animal clinic sign conflict may have compromise settlement September 4, 2015
- Supervisors consider closing section of CR 200 September 4, 2015
- Ward Johnson: I saw your article in the Eau Claire Leader-Telegr...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: I would be more concerned about getting the best, ...
- The Ghost of Col. Reb: This is awesome! What a great way to save money, t...
- Bradley: I think that this is great news. Students will hav...
- Mike Demele: It should be law. However enforcing this is tough...
Visit New Albany
New Albany Main Street Association
New Albany Schools
Union County Development Association
Union County Library
Union County Heritage Museum
Mayfield Law Firm
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Thames Family Dentistry