The Imperial Trading Company on Carter Avenue held a ribbon-cutting Friday for construction of a 12,000-square-foot addition to their warehouse. The addition will include a 4,000-square-foot cooler-freezer and add about 25 percent to their present 45,000 square feet of warehouse space. The business was originally Union Grocery, dating back to 1953. Imperial Trading bought the […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
New Albany may be blessed with a vibrant downtown and bustling retail trade area in many respects, but some experts say the city could be doing much better. According to an analysis presented by Retail Strategies, each year nearly $10.3 million is leaving Union County to be spent in other towns for groceries alone. Full-service […]
Nationwide and globally recognized scrap metal recycling and waste handling company Green Metals, Inc. opened up a new facility located at 1034 Corolla Lane in Blue Springs. Green Metals, Inc. is a subsidiary of Toyota Tsusho and handles recycling for Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, Inc. and TMMMS Tier One and Tier Two suppliers. President and […]
Angie Wilson, a labor and delivery nurse for the Women’s Center at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, recently received the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses, an award given in appreciation of the work nurses do. Wilson was nominated by a former patient who praised Wilson for her outstanding care and compassion. Nurses like Wilson are […]
The Town of Myrtle formally opened its new $210,000 municipal building Monday, dedicating the town hall to former resident Murray Coffey, who donated the land. Officials also designated the board room in honor of long-time alderman Joe Graham. Graham was unable to attend but Coffey was on hand along with family members for the […]
The ribbon-cutting at the Jackson Furniture plant in Myrtle Tuesday appears to be just the first in a string of industrial development-related activities in the community. Union County Development Association Executive Director Phil Nanney gave New Albany aldermen an update on several other projects at their February meeting Tuesday. In terms of new industry, Nanney […]
Union County Farm Bureau promoted “Catfish” as the commodity of the month for July. A display was set up complete with fishing bobbers and gummy “worms” for the children. Members were invited to register for two catfish dinners from Fat Luey’s Restaurant. Nell Weeden was the winner. Shown with her receiving the gift certificate are […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal NEW ALBANY – The closing of Newport Furniture could be the end of a 65-year-old furniture manufacturing legacy. Last week, Newport filed for Chapter 7 liquidation, an unsurprising move given its Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection filing a few days earlier. Production at the plant had all but ceased in recent […]
With some hope that the economy is improving and anticipating the benefits of Tanglefoot Trail, now is a time that some are thinking about starting a new business or upgrading an existing business. What many may not know is that free, practical, confidential help is available through the Mississippi Small Business Development Center. Serving the […]
- Ashland clips Myrtle in division action January 27, 2015
- Tens of millions of retail dollars leaving county; officials planning to counter that January 28, 2015
- Burglars get cash and drugs from Rite Aid pharmacy January 28, 2015
- Soups to bowl you over January 30, 2015
- Eastern Lights January 30, 2015
- Rite-Aid burglary may be tied to string of similar break-ins January 30, 2015
- Union County jobless rate up slightly; state still worst in nation January 30, 2015
- New Albany schools announce teachers of the year January 30, 2015
- More candidates join Third District supervisor’s race January 30, 2015
- Baptist Memorial Hospital brings new surgeon in January 30, 2015
- Sandra Jones Howard: I personally feel that Connor is a great asset to ...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Found it here: http://www.onenewspage.us/video/201...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: For those of us at too great a remove to see the e...
- Vicky Rose: Bedwell for Congress - the only candidate actively...
- Amy Harris: Friday night didn't do as well because of FOOTBAL...